120 gallon build

WV327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a 120 gallon(4x2x2) set up for a softie/LPS tank. I’ve read so many threads on here and tried to piece together info regarding equipment, gph, plumbing, etc. The tank came with a trigger ruby36 sump and a lifereef HOB overflow. I checked the glass for temper and plan to drill. So this leads me to my questions. I need to decide on an overflow for a bean style setup. Everyone has positive and negative experiences with everything available and I’m trying to avoid as much trial and error as possible. There doesn’t seem to be a consensus on what’s best.
In regards to gph, I understand that’s “entire flow” of tank. So I need some help with deciding appropriate gph for the style of tank I want. Some swear by 10x and others say 5x is more than enough when choosing their overflow and return pump. How about AC vs DC pump? I like the idea of being able to adjust the flow on a DC but not excited about the $$$.
I have read a post or two about guys wishing they would’ve installed their overflow on one side or the other on the back of the tank instead of the center for various reasons. I tend to like this idea. But that would limit me to one return on the other side. Would this be sufficient for this size of tank or should I center mount the overflow and run a return line on each side? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

NC Jim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always go with larger plumbing for faster return rate I believe. I love the Varios as it is so quiet but AC is proven tech and if the little extra noise doesn't bother you its money that can be saved/spent elsewhere. My tank turnover is about 3-4x through the sump and my opinion is that is plenty. For LPS and softy you also wont need high powerhead flow. Enjoy the movement and colors a softy/LPS tank has to offer :)

OP
OP
WV327

WV327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always go with larger plumbing for faster return rate I believe. I love the Varios as it is so quiet but AC is proven tech and if the little extra noise doesn't bother you its money that can be saved/spent elsewhere. My tank turnover is about 3-4x through the sump and my opinion is that is plenty. For LPS and softy you also wont need high powerhead flow. Enjoy the movement and colors a softy/LPS tank has to offer :)
Thanks for responding. I have a feeling that I might be over analyzing everything. It’s a character flaw of mine. I‘m just trying to buy once.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been awhile since I drilled a tank. The best lubricant I found was the 50/50 yellow antifreeze. A lot of service stations will sell you a cup of it, if you bring your own container. Make a dam, around where you want your hole. i also have drilled, using a guide, made with wood hole saw through a scrap piece of plywood. Tape or soft clamp the wood to the glass. After you get a good start, remove the guide and continue.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back