120 gallon stocking help

bsarnone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, I’m in the process of setting up a 120 gallon reef tank. I’ve had success with a nano tank so I want the challenge of something a bit bigger. I have a list of possible fish stocking ideas but I would like to know everyone’s opinion or suggestions! The main fish I do not want to budge on is a white tail bristle tooth tang. Could I also get some input on the order of adding fish? Thank you so much in advance!

1. Clown pair
2.watchman goby
3.flame hawk
4. Royal gramma
5. White tail bristletooth tang
6. Yellow tang
7. One spot fox face

If there are any suggestions for an addition or something instead of these I’m all ears! Thank you!

OP
OP
B

bsarnone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Side note: I’ve also flirted with the idea of a possible snowflake eel but I know that’s probably unlikely.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White tail tang is your 'must have', and that's fine. The only potential issue would be the yellow tang, assuming a standard 4' long 120 gallon. It might be fine long term, or it might not. Tangs are individuals.

You can absolutely keep a snowflake eel and the white tail tang in a 120. I would adjust your list a little, because of the small fishes. Snowflake eels are not fish eaters in nature, but I've seen a juvenile snowflake eat feeder goldfish, so there is a little risk.

With your original list, I would probably add the clowns, goby, gramma first. Then hawk and foxface. Then the tang last.

OP
OP
B

bsarnone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
White tail tang is your 'must have', and that's fine. The only potential issue would be the yellow tang, assuming a standard 4' long 120 gallon. It might be fine long term, or it might not. Tangs are individuals.

You can absolutely keep a snowflake eel and the white tail tang in a 120. I would adjust your list a little, because of the small fishes. Snowflake eels are not fish eaters in nature, but I've seen a juvenile snowflake eat feeder goldfish, so there is a little risk.

With your original list, I would probably add the clowns, goby, gramma first. Then hawk and foxface. Then the tang last.
Thank you for your input! Is there another fish you’d suggest instead of the yellow tang?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input! Is there another fish you’d suggest instead of the yellow tang?
My go to yellow fish for almost any tank is either Halichoeres chrysus or luecoxanthus, as long as you have sand.

Yellow tang might be fine.

Dwarf angels are great fish, if you don't mind the coral risk. I haven't found flames or coral beauties to be riskier than tangs, personally. Lemonpeel is striking, but they are coral eaters.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang and blue eye kole tang in my 120. They are doing fine at the moment (been together for 3-4 months). The yellow tang eats first, always and they sometimes fight a little, but nothing major and it only lasts a few seconds. It’s more a display of strength than anything else.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note: I’ve also flirted with the idea of a possible snowflake eel but I know that’s probably unlikely.
The snowflake is doable if you get the watchmen off the list and dont add any shrimp or decorative crabs. Mine is pretty shy compared to my jeweled. She doesnt bother any fish, even ones that try to take food from her. They are probably the most mild mannered eel you can get! Highly recommend. If you get one, keep it fed, and get a secure lid (not mesh) for the tank to keep it in. Eels are a lot of fun and I totally have a bond with both of mine!

IMG_5159.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m in the process of setting up a 120 gallon reef tank. I’ve had success with a nano tank so I want the challenge of something a bit bigger. I have a list of possible fish stocking ideas but I would like to know everyone’s opinion or suggestions! The main fish I do not want to budge on is a white tail bristle tooth tang. Could I also get some input on the order of adding fish? Thank you so much in advance!

1. Clown pair
2.watchman goby
3.flame hawk
4. Royal gramma
6. Yellow tang
7. One spot fox face

If there are any suggestions for an addition or something instead of these I’m all ears! Thank you!
a tang is doable in a 4’ tank but IMHO, a Yellow isn’t a great choice. Once you see a Bristletooth tang alone in one of these tanks you’ll understand why I think that. They are incredibly active even for the least active genus of tang.

Do you have/plan for a sand bed? If so, how deep?

OP
OP
B

bsarnone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
a tang is doable in a 4’ tank but IMHO, a Yellow isn’t a great choice. Once you see a Bristletooth tang alone in one of these tanks you’ll understand why I think that. They are incredibly active even for the least active genus of tang.

Do you have/plan for a sand bed? If so, how deep?
I was thinking a sand bed of around 2ish inches. The tanks footprint is also 60x18.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking a sand bed of around 2ish inches. The tanks footprint is also 60x18.
Even a 5’x18” tank pushes the Yellow Tang IMHO. You may have the length but the turning room is minimal and when you have rock in its only going to be maybe 6 inches (if not less) of turning room either side.

I definitely recommend considering wrasses.
Here’s my 5’x27”x26” tank that’s wrasse dominant. The activity in it is surprising. I have 17 fish total currently and 13 of them are wrasses.
IMG_0378.jpeg

OP
OP
B

bsarnone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even a 5’x18” tank pushes the Yellow Tang IMHO. You may have the length but the turning room is minimal and when you have rock in its only going to be maybe 6 inches (if not less) of turning room either side.

I definitely recommend considering wrasses.
Here’s my 5’x27”x26” tank that’s wrasse dominant. The activity in it is surprising. I have 17 fish total currently and 13 of them are wrasses.
IMG_0378.jpeg
That looks awesome! I’m not too familiar with that many wrasses. Are there any that you would recommend yourself?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks awesome! I’m not too familiar with that many wrasses. Are there any that you would recommend yourself?
It depends what colours you’re after but some of my must haves are;
- Macropharyngodon meleagris - Common Leopard
- Halichoeres iridis - Radiant
- Paracheilinus attenuatus - Diamond Tail Flasher
- Paracheilinus mccoskeri - Mccosker’s Flasher
- Halichoeres leucoxanthus - Silver Belly (I don’t have this one but have previously had it and the males are gorgeous)
- Cirrhilabrus lubbocki - Lubbock’s Fairy
- Cirrhilabrus flavidorsalis - Yellow Fin Fairy

I recommend looking into the wrasse lovers thread and seeing our photos of wrasses - some on there are gorgeous like OrionN’s China Wrasses and Slocke’s collection(s). Most on there mix well with other wrasses of both other genera and the same genus.

OP
OP
B

bsarnone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! I’ll definitely do
It depends what colours you’re after but some of my must haves are;
- Macropharyngodon meleagris - Common Leopard
- Halichoeres iridis - Radiant
- Paracheilinus attenuatus - Diamond Tail Flasher
- Paracheilinus mccoskeri - Mccosker’s Flasher
- Halichoeres leucoxanthus - Silver Belly (I don’t have this one but have previously had it and the males are gorgeous)
- Cirrhilabrus lubbocki - Lubbock’s Fairy
- Cirrhilabrus flavidorsalis - Yellow Fin Fairy

I recommend looking into the wrasse lovers thread and seeing our photos of wrasses - some on there are gorgeous like OrionN’s China Wrasses and Slocke’s collection(s). Most on there mix well with other wrasses of both other genera and the same genus.
thank you! They look stunning and I’ll definitely do some research!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get rid of the flamehawk. It will likely bully docile fish like many wrasses. The clowns and grama will stake out their territory. You don’t need a third. I like the chrysus or leuco for the yellow rather than the tang as mentioned. I would recommend a genicanthus angel like bellus, watanabe, or Japanese swallowtail. Also can consider a group of lyretail anthias.

OP
OP
B

bsarnone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would get rid of the flamehawk. It will likely bully docile fish like many wrasses. The clowns and grama will stake out their territory. You don’t need a third. I like the chrysus or leuco for the yellow rather than the tang as mentioned. I would recommend a genicanthus angel like bellus, watanabe, or Japanese swallowtail. Also can consider a group of lyretail anthias.
If I were to consider the anthias, how many should be in a group?

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Clown pair
2.watchman goby
3.flame hawk
4. Royal gramma
6. Yellow tang
7. One spot fox face

Just so you know I'm expecting this tank to be easier than your nano and I think your picks are all beautiful

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 184 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back