• Total voters

Reefingmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to get your take on this stocking plan. I’m worried I’m overstocking our 120 4x2x2 that we are buying from someone. He has several fish we don’t like, so we are trading them in for credit to get different fish. I will just include the fish we plan to keep and then add once established.

Current in the tank:
Flame fin
Flame angel

Want to add:
Shrimp goby pair
Purple fire fish (maybe 2)
Blue spot jaw fish
Lawnmower blenny
Pair of clowns
Melanurus wrasse
Purple tang
Yellow tang
Powder blue tang

I would love another wrasse.. but wondering if it’s safe to add.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tangs could give you problems, sometimes they work out but I’ve heard nasty things about powder blues being crazy bullies and I myself had a purple tang kill a large adult clownfish overnight with its tail :(. Some people have had success though, so it’s definitely possible. People also say that blennies and gobies can sometimes fight for territory but I don’t think that will be an issue in a 120. The blue spot I believe likes colder water so I’d leave him out or replace him with a different fish. Everything else looks alright!

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the stock you mentioned are fine.

3 tangs in a 120 for short term (if they are small) would work, but eventually they can out grow it. Keep in mind, Zebrasoma, (Purple and yellow) would probably fight. Normally rule of thumb is "More the better" to spread the agression, but in a 120, that wouldn't be possible. I would get rid of one. Purple is beautiful, but can be very aggressive.

Powder Blue tangs are known to be Ich magnets... be sure to QT it, or you might have a hard time long term. Even if the fish "doesn't show signs" at the LFS, your safest bet is to QT everything to make sure you don't have bigger headaches down the road.

In terms of the purple fire fish, some say it's possible to keep multiples, but chances are, one will kill another (unless it's a mated pair, but it's harder to find those)

Everything else you mentioned is fine.

Good luck with everything!

OP
OP
Reefingmama

Reefingmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the purple and yellow are currently at my LFS in the same tank and undergoing QT and a medicated bath. They get along so far. We don’t have a QT. Would a dip be enough to ward off the ich on the powder?
Most of the stock you mentioned are fine.

3 tangs in a 120 for short term (if they are small) would work, but eventually they can out grow it. Keep in mind, Zebrasoma, (Purple and yellow) would probably fight. Normally rule of thumb is "More the better" to spread the agression, but in a 120, that wouldn't be possible. I would get rid of one. Purple is beautiful, but can be very aggressive.

Powder Blue tangs are known to be Ich magnets... be sure to QT it, or you might have a hard time long term. Even if the fish "doesn't show signs" at the LFS, your safest bet is to QT everything to make sure you don't have bigger headaches down the road.

In terms of the purple fire fish, some say it's possible to keep multiples, but chances are, one will kill another (unless it's a mated pair, but it's harder to find those)

Everything else you mentioned is fine.

Good luck with everything!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
x1 Flame Fin Tomini Tang

x1 Flame Angel

x1 Shrimp / Goby Pair

x2 Ocellaris Clownfish

x1 some kind of tropical Jawfish

x1 Melanurus Wrasse

x2 Purple Firefish

x1 Marine Betta

x1 One Spot Foxface

x1 Lawnmower Blenny

Feel free to critique. Do you have a 4’ tank?

OP
OP
Reefingmama

Reefingmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
x1 Flame Fin Tomini Tang

x1 Flame Angel

x1 Shrimp / Goby Pair

x2 Ocellaris Clownfish

x1 Melanurus Wrasse

x2 Purple Firefish

x1 Marine Betta

x1 One Spot Foxface

x1 Lawnmower Blenny

Feel free to critique. Do you have a 4’ tank?

Is this what you would recommend or what you have? It’s a 4’x2’x2’ :)

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) My recommendations.

If it’s a 4’ I’d say ditch that Foxface then, they do better in tanks 5’ and longer.

x1 Flame Fin Tomini Tang

x1 Marine Betta

x2 Ocellaris Clownfish

x2 Purple Firefish

x1 Melanurus Wrasse

x1 Shrimp / Goby Pair

x1 Lawnmower Blenny

x1 Flame Angelfish

x1 basslet of some kind (Royal Gramma, Swissguard, Blackcap, one of the Assessor basslets)

x1 other kind of fish of your choice, up to 6”. Maybe another wrasse of some kind? Or maybe a trio of Pajama Cardinals?

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the purple and yellow are currently at my LFS in the same tank and undergoing QT and a medicated bath. They get along so far. We don’t have a QT. Would a dip be enough to ward off the ich on the powder?

aggression changes over time, they could get along temporarily then as one grows, he will be the dominate one. In terms of QT.... if they are doing it already then maybe? Question is... how much do you trust others to do QT for you

joshyross70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My list would be as follows. Might only pick 2 or 3 of the wrasse's.

Flame Angel
Blue spot jaw fish
Pair of clowns
Melanurus wrasse
Christmas wrasse
china wrasse
potters wrasse
Purple tang
white cheek tang

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
x1 Flame Angel- Great.

x1 Blue Spot Jawfish- they’re a subtropical species, I think. Check with others but to play it safe find another kind of tropical Jawfish.

x2 Ocellaris Clownfish- Great.

x1 Melanurus Wrasse- Great.

x1 Christmas Wrasse- Great.

x1 Potter’s Wrasse- Great, but keep in mind Leopard Wrasses are on average harder to keep than the 2 Halichoeres you have chosen.

I have singled out three fish:

1. White Cheek Tang- They get to 9”, I believe, long-term a 6’ or longer tank will be needed.

2. Purple Tang- They can be aggressive, and long-term a 6’ or longer tank will be needed.

3. China Wrasse- They’re not the easiest genus of Wrasses to keep. If you intend on having one make sure it’s a very healthy specimen at the LFS, no physical damage whatsoever, and they also get to 9” so long-term a 6’ tank will be required.

If you do not intend to upgrade, I would:

-Keep only 1 Tang in a 4’ tank and choose from the Tomini, Yellow Eye Kole, Squaretail (Indian Ocean) Kole, or a White Tail Bristletooth. These are 6-7”.

-You could add a couple more smaller fish like a Basslet, a small group of Pajama or some other Cardinalfish (Bangaiis can kill each other off until a pair is left), Chromis (just be sure to monitor or QT for uronema), or maybe even a small school of Anthias like Bartlett’s, or a small harem of Lyretails. If you go down the Anthias route, feed 3 or more times a day (tedious, I know).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%

Back