120 Xhigh Build

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finishing my basement and plan to do an in wall 120 xhigh (60x18x26). The location is right by a floor drain and water supply. I have an RO/DI unit and will be making my own water. I have 80 lbs of aragonite sand (30 lbs in an already set up 35 hex), about 70 lbs of dead rock (30 lbs in the same hex, starting to get red and purple coralline algae). I am planning on using an eheim pro 4-350 canister that is running the 35 hex and a couple of aquaclear 110 power filters I have laying around. I have a 1000 watt heater on a Ranco controller. I have never done a sump before but understand they are recommended. My 120 is not drilled nor do I want to risk drilling it. I have led lighting.

I have plenty of extra tanks laying around (55's, 29's, 40's etc. to use as a sump if I decide to go that route). What would be the recommendations from some of the more experienced reefers? Is a hangon tank overflow safe? Do I have to match the overflow with a return pump?

I want some corals, anemones and fish (clowns, tangs, hawk, etc.) A friend has fragged a Kenya tree and a mushroom coral that are growing nicely in my 35 hex.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Troy

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a hangon tank overflow safe? Do I have to match the overflow with a return pump?
They work, though I feel that they are more of a risk than having a gravity-based return as you get from a drilled tank. This is true any time a pump is involved - you have to ***** what will happen if that pump fails. In the case of a hang-on overflow, if the overflow pump fails, then your return pump could cause your tank to overflow onto your floor. There may be solutions for this risk - I've never had a hang-on overflow, nor really even seen one in action to know it. They are sold, however, so clearly they are an option.
Yes; you will need to match the overflow flow rate with the flow rate on the return pump. You'll very likely want to get a larger return pump so that it can handle the head loss, and then use gate valves to restrict the return flow rate to match the overflow rate. Pump maintenance (cleaning) will be key as the flow rates will fluctuate as the pumps get clogged up with debris and gunk.

In terms of the sump; I always suggest using the largest sump you can fit. The more water you have in the overall system, the more stable the parameters will be. Besides - I've never seen a sump and thought, "hey, that's got too much space." Usually I'm playing Tetris trying to get all the equipment to fit. ;-)

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be inclined to look at getting a drilled tank. Hang ons are a PIA and add risk of failure. Since a tank is not all that expensive, relatively so.... it would be well worth the investment to get one that is drilled. Tough to do 6 months down the line...as opposed to doing it now. Agree with the previous response, get as big of a sump as you can. This is where you will want at some point to be able to add equipment for filtration.... etc.

I will say, that I am not a fan of extra high tanks. It makes it difficult to get to the bottom or to clean... or even to move stuff around. I have a 32" deep acrylic corner tank....It is beautiful.... but it sucks to work in it... I am actually looking to take it down as it is a PIA to work on and so I dont as often as I should. Then the tank suffers.

The key for a system, make it functional, expandable and something that will keep your attention and be easy to work on.

My two cents worth.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been planning a 55 gallon sump to go under the 120 Display. I have attached a pic of what I think the layout will be. Would any of you more experienced reefers take a look at it and let me know what you think?
Sump 2.jpg

Thanks

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so it begins. I have started the wall and stand construction so here goes. Plus I have finalized the 55 gallon sump detail I am building. Ordered the glass for the sump. Have a PF-1200 Eshopps overflow, a Quick One 6000 pump, a smart level detection pump shut off switch and new LED lights. Can't wait to get started.

120 Build start.jpg

Sump Final Design.jpg

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 4 short months later and the remodel is nearing completing. Which means its time for tank building. Here is what it looks like now. I started setting it up a couple of nights ago and to my dismay, I found that the PF1200 overflow was broken in the box and missing the bulkheads and u tubes. I have had it since April but never opened so I wouldn't lose anything LOL. Good news is I called Kensfish.com where I bought my supplies from and he shipped me out a replacement that day for no charge. Excellent customer service. As soon as it gets here I will be hooking main display to sump and doing a couple of practice runs. Wish me luck..........

Tank2.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back