1200 Gallon Lagoon Build Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Amazing!

OP
OP
WWC

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The primary lighting was 2 x 175W metal halide's Ushio bulbs. I had a pair of
SVHO's I believe 48" in length for actinic. This was back in 2000 - 2001. Could be why I had a more cream or tan color effect.

I mean to ask. Ever think of any sea grass and pipe fish? Or would that potentially take over?

That’s awesome you have been in the hobby that long. The Ushio bulbs were 10K correct? That could explain the color difference. We actually have a blue stripe pipefish in the lagoon, but it hangs out in the back of the tank so it’s hard to see. The sea grass is a great idea, however we have found that a lot of it gets stuck in the drains.

OP
OP
WWC

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frank kicked off his shoes and hiked up his shorts for these shots:

WWC_1505.JPG

WWC_1514.JPG

WWC_1516.JPG

U

User1

View Badges
That’s awesome you have been in the hobby that long. The Ushio bulbs were 10K correct? That could explain the color difference. We actually have a blue stripe pipefish in the lagoon, but it hangs out in the back of the tank so it’s hard to see. The sea grass is a great idea, however we have found that a lot of it gets stuck in the drains.

Yes, I believe they where. Also thank you for taking the time to explain the possibly color reasoning. :D Also fully understand maintenance. I would wager on your scale it is factored into everything be it support systems or display tank. Time is money so probably areas to save.

Thanks again for sharing updates on the tank with posts, pictures, and small videos. Those of us on the wrong coast (West) can only see it via what you share and it is really neat. Great job and wish everyone there a great day!

OP
OP
WWC

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys ever considered doing a live webcam of any of the show tanks?

I just set up a personal webcam for me and the wifey and I love it!

We do occasionally stream the lagoon to our YouTube channel. Extremely shameless plug alert - make sure to subscribe so you get notified the next time we stream :D.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are definitely noticing a difference with the G5 lights over the lagoon.

Lagoon_10.jpg

Lagoon_12.jpg

Lagoon_11.jpg

This has to be one of the most amazing shot I've seen! This lagoon is also going to be our Reef Of The Day for tomorrow! ;)

jay06705

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk about a dream tank.. Can't wait to move to Florida just so I can see this baby in person.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely awesome!!

John Ostler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind sharing the process/software did you guys use to determine the engineering aspects of the build? Stand, glass thickness/size, etc

Back