1200 Gallon Lagoon Build Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The holy of holies. Wow! I don't care overly much for the servicing aspect of the hobby, but I'd pay to dive in there and help out!

Steppenout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just in the store today and guys.....pictures do not do this tank justice. It is overwhelming to view this thing. The guys at WWC that dreamed up this tank need to be presented some kind of award. Truly it is an awesome work of art.

OP
OP
WWC

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks stunning, are you anticipating the mangrove shading out corals or are you going to ‘bonsai’ it carefully to try and limit that?

Great question! At this point, the mangrove is just settling in and developing new chutes. This one is close to 10 years old, and is growing upward. Eventually, we will have to “thin out” the growth by trimming some branches. We don’t anticipate having to do this for a while. We would also consider moving a “blocked” coral or 2 if that is the easier route.

OP
OP
WWC

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind sharing the process/software did you guys use to determine the engineering aspects of the build? Stand, glass thickness/size, etc

We approached Exotic Aquariums with the idea, and they did the calculations and engineering.

OP
OP
WWC

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. Have you guys ran into any issues that us common reefers run into? Algae? Pests?

Absolutely, this tank hasn’t been without its challenges. Not so much pests because the rock came from a previous system, but we have had our fair share of algae . The lagoon receives daily maintenance and large, weekly water changes. So everyone just sees the end result in photos/videos. Thank you for the compliment and question.

OP
OP
WWC

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But where does the giant sump go? And what’s in that? Humongous fuge?

The sump is under the saltwater station in the store. There isn’t a fuge (beside the mangrove in the display). There is an external skimmer, external pump, UV, calcium reactor, filter floss and filter socks.

Last edited:

TrillBill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of CUC do you have or is it just elbow grease? Absolutely amazing tank btw. When I when the lotto I’ll be having your guys design a tank for my house ;)

OP
OP
WWC

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of CUC do you have or is it just elbow grease? Absolutely amazing tank btw. When I when the lotto I’ll be having your guys design a tank for my house ;)

Thank you. For CUC we have 100 blue leg hermits, 40 trochus snails, 24 cleaner shrimp, 8 queen conchs, 4 sand sifting stars, and 3 harlequin shrimp.

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has to be one of the most amazing shot I've seen! This lagoon is also going to be our Reef Of The Day for tomorrow! ;)

Come on now, how is this not a tank of the month?? Or... are you just waiting til the corals grow out more? This is by far one of the coolest tanks I've ever seen (25+ years in the hobby)!

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. For CUC we have 100 blue leg hermits, 40 trochus snails, 24 cleaner shrimp, 8 queen conchs, 4 sand sifting stars, and 3 harlequin shrimp.

Blue legs and trochus snails are the backbone of my CUC as well. Thanks to the @Bulk Reef Supply video on snails! Are you manually feeding the harlequins?

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy %&$! You rock! @WWC

giphy.gif

Back