120G reef filtration

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased my 120G tank! This is going to be my biggest reef ever (in-fact... my biggest tank!) - I am looking for some advice regarding filtration. The tank is drilled with an overflow & I plan to run a sump. My question is can a 40G tank with a protein skimmer etc in it work without bubble walls? I have an old 40G tank I plan to use as the sump. I could acrylic some glass pieces in as baffles if I have to but is it necessary? Trying to do the sump on a bit of a budget but I don’t want to skimp out on anything! - Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass is relatively cheap and easy to cut. They have everything you need at home depot. I'd recommend setting up baffles rather than just the empty tank.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased my 120G tank! This is going to be my biggest reef ever (in-fact... my biggest tank!) - I am looking for some advice regarding filtration. The tank is drilled with an overflow & I plan to run a sump. My question is can a 40G tank with a protein skimmer etc in it work without bubble walls? I have an old 40G tank I plan to use as the sump. I could acrylic some glass pieces in as baffles if I have to but is it necessary? Trying to do the sump on a bit of a budget but I don’t want to skimp out on anything! - Thanks!
Yes, yes, and yes, lol.
Baffles are not needed unless you want a fuge.
Check my build thread.
I also have a 45 frag system with a 40 breeder sump with no baffles.
20200505_180508.jpg

Back