BioWheel Penguin 200 Power Filter

ReefReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey y'all! Totally new to this. In highschool I really wanted a reef tank and did tons of research but my parents wouldn't allow it, now that I'm an adult I am finally starting my first reef tank! Since I'm in my early 20s I'm trying to be frugal with this and not buy everything at once, I got a 35 gallon bow front tank for dirt cheap, a salinometer, heater, and my local LFS sold me a biowheel filter but so far everything I've read says that they're less than ideal reef tank filters...thoughts? I am wanting to keep a pair of clowns, a goby and a basic cleanup crew along with some soft corals and an anemone. I was given a protein skimmer with the tank but I really don't want to deal with an in-sump setup as the stand is small and so is the room the tank is in. What is the lowest maintenance OR simplest filtration system I can set up?

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The filtration will be coming from the live rocks, so its important to get the best rocks possible. The live rocks that has been aquacultured in the ocean is going to give you the best chances of success. HOB filters works fine but has limitations

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back