120g refugium sizing question

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I’m in the process of building a 120 system. I am planning to use a refugium in my system and had questions regarding the sizing..
My question is this; is there going to be that big of a difference when it comes to nutrient export if I use the second chamber vs the first?
My sump is 36x18x16, the first chamber is 17x18 and the second is 12x18. The sump I am using offers the ability to use either the first or second chamber as the refugium.
If I use the first chamber my Fuge will be close to 20g but I give up the option of running filter socks to polish the water *I don’t constantly run socks*.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I’m in the process of building a 120 system. I am planning to use a refugium in my system and had questions regarding the sizing..
My question is this; is there going to be that big of a difference when it comes to nutrient export if I use the second chamber vs the first?
My sump is 36x18x16, the first chamber is 17x18 and the second is 12x18. The sump I am using offers the ability to use either the first or second chamber as the refugium.
If I use the first chamber my Fuge will be close to 20g but I give up the option of running filter socks to polish the water *I don’t constantly run socks*.
Personally if you can use either or, I'd go with the bigger chamber. Gives you more potential room to grow your macro algae for better nutrient export :)

OP
OP
Njdevils1220

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larg
Personally if you can use either or, I'd go with the bigger chamber. Gives you more potential room to grow your macro algae for better nutrient export :)
Larger chaeto size doesn’t mean better per say, denser chaeto with better color means it’s doing better absorption.

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re planning on getting the most out of your fuge use a decent light. I’m using the Kessil 380 and it grows macro extremely well.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosnt really matter. I always have had larger fives but I've never noticed a difference in small or large fuge. Good light okay flow and you're good

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosnt really matter. I always have had larger fives but I've never noticed a difference in small or large fuge. Good light okay flow and you're good

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 16.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 49 43.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back