125 gallon anemone tank move

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As usual Taylor, you make me jealous with your stunning collection! Curios, what water conditions do you find is preferable for your gigs? When I was in Thailand last year, the gigs I saw were in some fairly dirty looking water. Just wondering how yours react in cleaner conditions!

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As usual Taylor, you make me jealous with your stunning collection! Curios, what water conditions do you find is preferable for your gigs? When I was in Thailand last year, the gigs I saw were in some fairly dirty looking water. Just wondering how yours react in cleaner conditions!
Thanks! They seem to do good with dirty water like you saw. Not poor water, but dirty water. Stable perimeters are favored, but they will definitely tolerate a range as long as fluctuations are slow. More so than coral. They’re all individuals, I’ve got one that collapses fast with calcium additions, the others don’t show any signs with it. One deflates like a blink when touched, (goes from full inflated to a glob in 2 seconds, super sensative) others don’t care, you can rub them raw. They are all absolutely a unique personality with different reactions.

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks move was yesterday. I added 1 of 3 bags of sand on Wednesday. I feel good I’m in the clear. Everyone looks ok. The purple has things in the tents that flow up and down. I’m looking forward to time with these guys. I’ve got a spot in my sump set up for low flow. I have some theories I’d like to test. Here’s today.

A4706488-5892-4087-AFAD-90056D739D32.jpeg

D048FE1A-5772-4324-BC16-A48A93F985F6.jpeg

AA429E02-7B4C-41AF-A8CE-329FB348AC08.jpeg

8B3B9260-4AF6-495E-BCF5-B55EEE902040.jpeg

ACE9CE78-6F5A-411D-BD11-30FAEBBAD2CE.jpeg

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 and 9 o’clock. May be hard to see, but I’d suck these things right through the tips before.

D0851748-F6B4-46EF-8C64-6EE3F4D62F6B.png

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about trying to breed them in captivity? If so sign me up for first customer! [emoji16] That would be very exciting. Have you thought about tinkering with lunar and temperature cycles to encourage spawning?

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about trying to breed them in captivity? If so sign me up for first customer! [emoji16] That would be very exciting. Have you thought about tinkering with lunar and temperature cycles to encourage spawning?
I think it’s kind of like everyone having clowns lay eggs. Everyone has clowns spawn, but without the right care they never grow up. Im guessing there’s a little more to it than just standing back and watching. With the amount of people with multiple anemones, odds of them multiplying in the tank are high, there’s got to be more to it than just hoping they show up on a rock one day. This tank the gigs are in now dumps the overflows into an empty tank, so I’m hoping once the tank is settled down, I can use this area of overflows to see what settles out. I’m not expecting success but will be fun to tinker with.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s kind of like everyone having clowns lay eggs. Everyone has clowns spawn, but without the right care they never grow up. Im guessing there’s a little more to it than just standing back and watching. With the amount of people with multiple anemones, odds of them multiplying in the tank are high, there’s got to be more to it than just hoping they show up on a rock one day. This tank the gigs are in now dumps the overflows into an empty tank, so I’m hoping once the tank is settled down, I can use this area of overflows to see what settles out. I’m not expecting success but will be fun to tinker with.

Definitely. Pumps and skimmers aren't very conducive environments for raising juveniles! I'm curious how long gig babies spend in the planula and juvenile stage and if they require live zooplankton to survive to the polyp phase. Have you considered putting an automatic feeder with dried zooplankton in that low flow zone tank? Just throwing out ideas here, but maybe put an air stone in there for light water circulation and oxygenation (no threat of getting chewed up by pumps, like a jellyfish tank) with multi feedings of zooplankton a day. Maybe a few juveniles would survive to adulthood in that environment if there was a successful spawn event. Again, just thinking out loud here so take my words with a grain of salt! It would be an incredibly interesting experiment and amazing accomplishment if it was successfully done in captivity.

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still waiting for the part where you say you are looking for a good home for the gig.
Congratulations dude, nice job.

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely. Pumps and skimmers aren't very conducive environments for raising juveniles! I'm curious how long gig babies spend in the planula and juvenile stage and if they require live zooplankton to survive to the polyp phase. Have you considered putting an automatic feeder with dried zooplankton in that low flow zone tank? Just throwing out ideas here, but maybe put an air stone in there for light water circulation and oxygenation (no threat of getting chewed up by pumps, like a jellyfish tank) with multi feedings of zooplankton a day. Maybe a few juveniles would survive to adulthood in that environment if there was a successful spawn event. Again, just thinking out loud here so take my words with a grain of salt! It would be an incredibly interesting experiment and amazing accomplishment if it was successfully done in captivity.
I don’t know. I think, and I could be wrong, but I’m thinking since they are anemones, in water that’s aged with all the tiny stuff that lives in a tank, it’s not a food source problem, I think it’s an environmental problem, with flow and light, mainly flow my guess... I would think light is all they need to grow, once planted with flow, being an anemone. I’ve sucked them through the tips before, but getting them planted in a spot with flow and light has never happened, I’ve always tried to contain them in a mug or container with a screen which then they just melt, not good flow/turnover. Maybe their foot doesn’t work for a while? Playing with them can suck a massive amount of time. Before I spend more time with that, I’d also like to add fine sponges on the bulkheads that join the 2 bottom tanks so when they let go they hit the sponge instead of the pumps. Maybe over the next couple years someone figures it out, there’s enough multi gig tanks, or multiple anemone tanks, seems odd no one has them multiply, or any anemone for that matter besides splitting mags and BTA. Which makes me think filtration/flow is the problem with any of them settling in a good spot. I’ve had an anthias for a few years, it only eats live food from the live rocks. I don’t think it’s a micro live food shortage.

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still waiting for the part where you say you are looking for a good home for the gig.
Congratulations dude, nice job.

Thanks there’s been times I wished to walk away from all of it. If you posted that at the right time at the right place a year ago, I wouldn’t be here right now. shipping them is a major pain, eats a large chunk of day and cost a lot in shipping. It’s more cost effective to pull them and flush them and go work a few hours at the job instead.
I hung onto them as long as I could, too long to find homes, the tidal waves of life swept, but I sold 2 if them to my friend Duy in CA over a year ago. He still has them. It’s by weird chance/impulse buy, I ended up with what I have. I’m still kind of attached to them all, they’re all a little different.

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I remember you got stunned pretty badly. I don't think I will ever get out of the hobby. I'm waiting for the right time to add a nano for angler fish or dwarf lion fish. I'm still waiting for that gig. I failed twice already.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your tank has a good deal of free floating food sources, that's great for a possible spawn. I bet documents on raising jellyfish would be very helpful since there are so many similarities.

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I remember you got stunned pretty badly. I don't think I will ever get out of the hobby. I'm waiting for the right time to add a nano for angler fish or dwarf lion fish. I'm still waiting for that gig. I failed twice already.
Yes, I got stung bad, one latched onto my arm for a long time while I was trying to remove one and I let it just sit on my arm for the whole time. Basically the whole disk stuck to my arm and I left it.

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Going to get a little time to work on it this weekend. I’m looking forward to it. I’ve tried to feed them food a few times the past week. Only a couple pull in the food, a few of them let it go. They haven’t been fed in so long seems like they forgot how to eat! I’ve tried marble sized pieces of raw shrimp and scallops a few days apart. The fish love it though, they haven’t had anything but algae sheets in a very long time. The water chemistry hasn’t been as stable as normal, top off, kh, cal, mag have all been sparatic in amounts and levels. I haven’t gotten the heartbeat of consumption down. It’s different than the old 210. I could go months and not test before. Now I test 3-4 days apart and it’s high or low. The coraline growth is different than before. New tank syndrome still. A 125 is a nice size tank, easier to work in than the height of a 210.

Thanks guys

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many total Gigs in there? Also, the one dead middle, under the algae clip...is that a Gig or a leather? Hard to tell...everything looking great!

OP
OP
T

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many total Gigs in there? Also, the one dead middle, under the algae clip...is that a Gig or a leather? Hard to tell...everything looking great!
Thanks. 7 gigs(2 green 2 purple 3 Blue).

The brown in the middle is a leather... poor man’s gig lol. I was told it’s a gold crown toadstool leather. First coral I got a long time ago, always kept a piece. Grow it from a dime size to a foot plus many times. Nice coral, it’s polyps are 2-3” long when well acclimated, awesome substitute for a anemone. I’ve grown it to as big as maybe 18” when they get that big they grow too fast.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 34 45.9%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.1%
Back