OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if that is coralline than I am major jealous. To test you could try and lightly scrub it off with a toothbrush or something, and if it comes off easily than it probably isn't coralline.
Good idea, using a toothbrush. When I get a moment, I'll try it and report back.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if that is coralline than I am major jealous. To test you could try and lightly scrub it off with a toothbrush or something, and if it comes off easily than it probably isn't coralline.
I used a pipe cleaner tool. The surface brushed off a little, but the spot is still there.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've done nothing but stare at this tank half the day, trying to find any more purple or pink spots. No luck yet, but I did find these 3 florescent green dots:

4BFC9BF0-66D9-4BE5-B5E3-621012DEB01F.jpeg

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've become a little worried about flow in the tank, so I added another powerhead to the right side of the tank. The fish don't seem to mind. I noticed some detritus blowing out the rocks and being suspended in the water column.

I figure if the purpleish spot I have is cyano, then more flow can only help. If the spot is instead Coralline, then more flow can only help.

95034419-A38C-48CB-87D6-B025A0328A3E.jpeg

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've become a little worried about flow in the tank, so I added another powerhead to the right side of the tank. The fish don't seem to mind. I noticed some detritus blowing out the rocks and being suspended in the water column.

I figure if the purpleish spot I have is cyano, then more flow can only help. If the spot is instead Coralline, then more flow can only help.

95034419-A38C-48CB-87D6-B025A0328A3E.jpeg
solid logic!

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tempted to put a test coral in the tank; like a Zoa frag on a small rock. Just to see how it does. Good idea or bad idea?
Good idea, but make sure its something you like but cheap. so if it dies your not devastated but if it survives you will like it. I added a zoa frag and a ricordia mushroom for my first coral cant go wrong with softies.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea, but make sure its something you like but cheap. so if it dies your not devastated but if it survives you will like it. I added a zoa frag and a ricordia mushroom for my first coral cant go wrong with softies.
Yeah, it's definitely going to be a cheap zoa. I think my LFS has some cheap ones I can look at.

My original plan was to wait until coralline algae spread over the rocks, but having just one or two corals shouldn't mess up the plan too much.

I was tempted to do the zoa skull, but I don't know.
zoa skull.jpg

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's definitely going to be a cheap zoa. I think my LFS has some cheap ones I can look at.

My original plan was to wait until coralline algae spread over the rocks, but having just one or two corals shouldn't mess up the plan too much.

I was tempted to do the zoa skull, but I don't know.
zoa skull.jpg
If I was into putting non-natural pieces of rock in my tank, I would definitely be doing this.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was into putting non-natural pieces of rock in my tank, I would definitely be doing this.
I prefer the natural look, but since the tank is two-sided, I can do the skull just on my side and hide it from the “display “ side in the conference room. And if I don’t like it, I can always remove it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back