125 Lbs. of KP Live Rock on airplane now.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, the best thing is just seeing that KP is back up and running. I know with Tampa Bay vanishing over the fall/winter, I was worried that we were losing one of the few vendors providing actual honest-to-goodness live rock.
I heard the TB guy was old enough and wanted to just retire? I don't think it was a vanishing act.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome!! I got my rock from KP as well... super happy. Have to ask tho...why in the ever loving world are you putting microbacter in when you spent all that $$$ on the bacteria the live rock comes with?? Unnecessary and counter-intuitive, just sayin, reconsider :) congrats on your quality purchase. Sounds like an exciting build!
That's what LFS recommended. Not a good ides for the MicroBacter?

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what LFS recommended. Not a good ides for the MicroBacter?
awesome!! I got my rock from KP as well... super happy. Have to ask tho...why in the ever loving world are you putting microbacter in when you spent all that $$$ on the bacteria the live rock comes with?? Unnecessary and counter-intuitive, just sayin, reconsider :) congrats on your quality purchase. Sounds like an exciting build!
I dosed some bacterial supplements before adding the live rock and after adding it. Had a brief spike but nitrite and ammonia zeroed out within 5 days of adding the rock. I think it can help suppress any ammonia spikes from die-off and push things along. May be more unnecessary if the rock was shipped in water though.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't matter either way it's shipped, the bacteria in the rocks didn't die. But cool, you didn't do any harm by adding extra. I often wonder about the bottled stuff competing against the naturals coming from the ocean. I'm convinced (read I can't scientifically back this up) that what's coming from the ocean is optimally and desirable from an evolutionary standpoint. Personally I won't do anything to interdict that. But my viewpoint isn't the last word on that.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoaaaa. Thats a lot o rock. Can I ask how much you spent on all of it? Looking forward to seeing how many critters you have.
A lot. The Air Freight on SW Airlines was 309. Shipped in water, 285 pounds.

I think he dose free shipping over 299 next day UPS but they wont handle that weight shipped in water. It would be wet wrapped in paper.

I believe he just raised price slightly. Check web sit for details.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I can't confirm, that's why I just said that was the rumor. If you have more accurate info?

Nope, looks like you were right - I hadn't seen Richard's last post back in January here. The last I had seen was back in December.

So we can end our digression and go back to bugging OP for pics of all his rock once he gets it all sorted out. =)

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sad beg GIF by Dish Nation

We're all anxiously awaiting some pics!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Actually - BEFORE you unpack, you should allow me to inspect one for you. PM me for address to send it to.

LOL

Please do however let us know what you like/dislike about rock and pictures under whites please.

This is exciting- Hope you get lots of little treasures (good hitchhikers)

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard the TB guy was old enough and wanted to just retire? I don't think it was a vanishing act.
Yes,
here's his goodbye thread...

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I had Live Rock shipped was 1992.

Idk but it smells Good! Like Victory!
Yeah I got out for a while in 2005. All my tanks were rock direct from figi so I can speak to both worlds. I'm not trashing KP at all. Bu today's standards, Marco rock dropped in the south keys is all we got today. By that standard it's worlds above dry rock and KP does it well and they are great too work with. Can't ever go back to the old days, but I'll order from KP again!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I love the tank! Thanks for sharing. Send me your email in a PM and I'll PayPal you your well deserved $5! This goes for the next five full tank shots posted in your build thread. I'm a man of my word, but I can't fund the world lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back