125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm planning possibly other Wrasse types like Fairy or something as well. That's just what I have currently. As far as only 1 Melanurus the store only had 1 in stock. It's $30.
lol the petco I went to last night had a fairy wrasse for $24. I almost got it but peaceful fish don't have a good track record in my tank.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
lol the petco I went to last night had a fairy wrasse for $24. I almost got it but peaceful fish don't have a good track record in my tank.
Las cruces petco was the place to be. Orange belly regal angelfish 75, mixed wrasse 25, mixed anthias 25. You have no idea how robbed I felt only have a 55g aquarium with a tied on 30g for a sump. There were times I just wanted to dive off a bridge.

You can find some gems at petco. That's whats wonderful about it all!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personal melanurus experience. King of tank, kept everyone in check. Not aggressive, even to new comers. Ate my shrimp and anything he could fit in his mouth. NEVER chased fish. If I could have one that would let me have cleaner shrimp, I'd do it all over again. He was bold, not a pansy around other fish. Now when he was in qt for rehoming, he was scared for life.
Dropped him off to his new home, 5 minutes later. He's happy as can be.

Not saying the one in petco isn't michael myers or anything. You just never know with fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal melanurus experience. King of tank, kept everyone in check. Not aggressive, even to new comers. Ate my shrimp and anything he could fit in his mouth. NEVER chased fish. If I could have one that would let me have cleaner shrimp, I'd do it all over again. He was bold, not a pansy around other fish. Now when he was in qt for rehoming, he was scared for life.
Dropped him off to his new home, 5 minutes later. He's happy as can be.

Not saying the one in petco isn't michael myers or anything. You just never know with fish.
If you get hold of a Lysmata amboinensis instead of Lysmata grabhami then your chances of having them is more likely in my experience. I currently have a Lysmata amboinensis, Stenopus scutellatus and an Alpheus bellulus in the tank with a Halichoeres chloropterus and Halichoeres iridis, so far I’ve only had the Iridis nip at one (Alpheus bellulus) as it was the most recent one added - Yesterday - and both wrasses I have are about 4” if not bigger.

Lysmata amboinensis gets a bit larger than Lysmata grabhami and maxes out at 2 inches in length. If you can get one of them around 1” then you may be able to have a shrimp the Mel won’t eat.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you get hold of a Lysmata amboinensis instead of Lysmata grabhami then your chances of having them is more likely in my experience. I currently have a Lysmata amboinensis, Stenopus scutellatus and an Alpheus bellulus in the tank with a Halichoeres chloropterus and Halichoeres iridis, so far I’ve only had the Iridis nip at one (Alpheus bellulus) as it was the most recent one added - Yesterday - and both wrasses I have are about 4” if not bigger.

Lysmata amboinensis gets a bit larger than Lysmata grabhami and maxes out at 2 inches in length. If you can get one of them around 1” then you may be able to have a shrimp the Mel won’t eat.
No clue which I had. Once they molted, he killed and snacked on them throughout the day.

By they, I had 2.

Edit: about 3 inches each.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue which I had. Once they molted, he killed and snacked on them throughout the day.

By they, I had 2.

Edit: about 3 inches each.
To me that sounds like Lysmata amboinensis - I mixed up with the max sizes as Amboinensis can get 3” and I currently have one that is VERY close to 4”. Although, mine does go into hiding and is extremely good at it after shedding and during shedding as they need time to calcify their exoskeleton.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me that sounds like Lysmata amboinensis - I mixed up with the max sizes as Amboinensis can get 3” and I currently have one that is VERY close to 4”. Although, mine does go into hiding and is extremely good at it after shedding and during shedding as they need time to calcify their exoskeleton.
Bad part is, I think he wanted the eggs. I don't really know. Both molted and were carrying. Moments later I see 1 dead shrimp in half, next day it was the other.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m curious, why go for just the one wrasse and not several?
I more meant other wrasses as if you kept multiple mels (or even most wrasse species) you’ll most likely wind up with a bunch of males fighting it out and end up with one species.
So basically, if I'm understanding you, multiple Melanurus is good, don't add other haliocheres or they'll end up with multiple males since they all start as female and the dominant one becomes a male?

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Or are you saying 1 Melanurus and a Coris? Add a couple of fairy and flashers?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically, if I'm understanding you, multiple Melanurus is good, don't add other haliocheres or they'll end up with multiple males since they all start as female and the dominant one becomes a male?
All Melanurus become male and it’s the same with other Halichoeres (Most wrasses will always become male with the few exceptions) however you can have multiple Halichoeres as long as they’re not overly similar. However you can’t have multiple melanurus as they’re much more likely to fight it out unfortunately.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All Melanurus become male and it’s the same with other Halichoeres (Most wrasses will always become male with the few exceptions) however you can have multiple Halichoeres as long as they’re not overly similar. However you can’t have multiple melanurus as they’re much more likely to fight it out unfortunately.
Ok. So 1 Melanurus and 1 Coris. I can have multiple Fairy or Flasher wrasses also, right?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So 1 Melanurus and 1 Coris. I can have multiple Fairy or Flasher wrasses also, right?
You can have several different species of flasher and fairies yes, many will recommend sticking to the chart
with fairies however these are purely guidelines that are able to be bent.
610F0274-4345-4FF6-9AC6-3CCFEE282983.png

For the rest, it’s all pure luck and asking around for similar ideas.

In terms of coris wrasse, do you mean the yellow? If so then you can do it however I recommend avoiding true coris wrasses (From the genus Coris) as they become aggressive with age.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can have several different species of flasher and fairies yes, many will recommend sticking to the chart

In terms of coris wrasse, do you mean the yellow? If so then you can do it however I recommend avoiding true coris wrasses (From the genus Coris) as they become aggressive with age.
How do you feel about halichoeres trispilus?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about halichoeres trispilus?
I absolutely love it, with a melanurus it should do just fine. Melasmopoma, trispilus and pallidus are all in my top 10 Halichoeres.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I do mean the Yellow, yes.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Alright... You guys talked my wife into it.
giphy (6).gif

I just called and they said it's not in the tank. I'll stop by tomorrow on my way home from work and double check because I don't trust the lady I talked to because she couldn't find a picture of a blue fish with stripes.... Hopefully it's there still. If not, I'll keep my eyes open for another one down the road.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 153 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back