125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How's the printing progress?
I didn't get home until midnight last night and won't be home until 10 tonight. I started printing another project and it popped off. I think I'm going to clean the bed, reapply glue, and try reprinting it with a raft. That controller hanger printed decent but I'm not sure what I could have done differently to make the button stronger. I did a "keyhole" hanger and the button side broke off so I'm just going to super glue it instead. 185 makes a LOT cleaner print than 200. I'm going to check the extruder calibration and then run the retraction calibration tower tomorrow. I did all the suggestions you and Sam made except I couldn't find the first layer setting Sam mentioned (I'm using the newest 32 bit Windows Cura version so it may not be there) and I didn't do the Z Hop but I may do that since I put the Z-axis offset back to 2.91 for a better squish.

Benchy liked 200 and 2.90 and had very minimal lifting at 60. I'd be curious how it works at 185, 2.91, and 50. Maybe I'll try again after the calibration tower tomorrow. I'm working from home and my workspace is right next to the printer (and fish tank...).

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't get home until midnight last night and won't be home until 10 tonight. I started printing another project and it popped off. I think I'm going to clean the bed, reapply glue, and try reprinting it with a raft. That controller hanger printed decent but I'm not sure what I could have done differently to make the button stronger. I did a "keyhole" hanger and the button side broke off so I'm just going to super glue it instead. 185 makes a LOT cleaner print than 200. I'm going to check the extruder calibration and then run the retraction calibration tower tomorrow. I did all the suggestions you and Sam made except I couldn't find the first layer setting Sam mentioned (I'm using the newest 32 bit Windows Cura version so it may not be there) and I didn't do the Z Hop but I may do that since I put the Z-axis offset back to 2.91 for a better squish.

Benchy liked 200 and 2.90 and had very minimal lifting at 60. I'd be curious how it works at 185, 2.91, and 50. Maybe I'll try again after the calibration tower tomorrow. I'm working from home and my workspace is right next to the printer (and fish tank...).
Never Mind What GIF by US National Archives

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

picard too long didnt read GIF

Edit: I felt bad sending this so I did read it and don’t understand it so…

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
picard too long didnt read GIF

Edit: I felt bad sending this so I did read it and don’t understand it so…
TLDR version?

Got home late
Very little sleep
Didn't mess with the printer yesterday
Getting home late again tonight
No printer tonight
Printer tomorrow to test settings.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR version?

Got home late
Very little sleep
Didn't mess with the printer yesterday
Getting home late again tonight
No printer tonight
Printer tomorrow to test settings.
Ooooooh, so that's what happened!

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

Definitely try lowering the bed temp to 50 also the first layer you can print at 210-220 and other layers at a lower temp, 200, 190, whatever.

Raising the temp on the first layer can cause better adhesion. Almost all my prints have a higher first layer temp.

Once you get it figured out you'll look back and think how easy it should have been.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Started a print, headed out th door.

Lost the torch.
IMG_20231129_174253909.jpg

Losing Judge Judy maybe...
IMG_20231129_174303881.jpg

Maybe the Pink Cadillac...
IMG_20231129_174311774.jpg

Everything else seems good. Acroberry is going CRAZY PE and growth. No pics.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cleaned the glass bed on the printer with soap and then used Isopropyl alcohol. Didn't reapply glue. Moved the Z-axis offset back to 2.90, bed temp is 50, extruder is 185. Added a raft.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Definitely try lowering the bed temp to 50 also the first layer you can print at 210-220 and other layers at a lower temp, 200, 190, whatever.

Raising the temp on the first layer can cause better adhesion. Almost all my prints have a higher first layer temp.

Once you get it figured out you'll look back and think how easy it should have been.
I'll try the higher first layer.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One thing we have not asked, what filament are you using?
Right now the Creality white that came with it. I just got a roll of Sunlu white in the mail today and have a multi-color pack on order.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Right now the Creality white that came with it. I just got a roll of Sunlu white in the mail today and have a multi-color pack on order.
By chance have you dried the filament.... Oh wait you're in Arizona, humidity is like -20% anyways :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Creality prints really well for me so that's good. Sunlu has too.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got the "Planted Tank/DT Fuge" light. My Betta tank at work currently has a saltwater light that I'm going to swap out for this. A 5 gallon tank with a 50 watt LED is probably overkill anyway.
IMG_20231129_210445742.jpg
IMG_20231129_210951895.jpg

This one is 9 watts.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
By chance have you dried the filament.... Oh wait you're in Arizona, humidity is like -20% anyways :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Creality prints really well for me so that's good. Sunlu has too.
It's in an enclosure and I have silica gel packs in there with it so I dunno. I have an Inkbird humidity sensor I could throw in there to at least tell me the humidity... :thinking-face:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back