Option#4
d0ad029e105af8c4900617131a3830c3.jpg

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw your thread about the issues you were having with dual herbies and you mentioned sea swirls for more randomized return output. Have you seen VCA's RFG nozzles? They might be an option if you're on a tighter budget.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like them. I replaced the stock nozzles on my other tank and have been happy I did. Definitely a possibility and will definitely be using them on the return in the header fuge.
I saw your thread about the issues you were having with dual herbies and you mentioned sea swirls for more randomized return output. Have you seen VCA's RFG nozzles? They might be an option if you're on a tighter budget.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added to ammonia to the DT to get the cycle started while I wait for more parts. LFS was out of bottled bacteria so I ordered some fritzyme 9 from amazon. I usually use biospira but I figured I try a different product this time. Ammonia is sitting around 2-3ppm and hasn't changed all week. I did have some sort of bacterial bloom initially but the water has mostly cleared up. Not sure what the bacteria was consuming(because it wasn't ammonia) but I'll just have to let it run it's course. Biospira has worked well for me in the past with the exception that sometimes it fails really get going on the nitrite front. From reading the various and sometimes heated bacteria/cycle threads I'm aware that nitrite isn't really very toxic in saltwater, but I disagree that it's irrelevant in terms of whether the tank should be considered cycled. Yes maybe fish won't die, but IMHO it's still an indication that bacterial populations aren't anywhere near some sort of balance/equilibrium yet. The last tank I cycled I ended up adding a second bottle of birospira and within 48 hours the nitrite was gone and the tank was processing ammonia-nitrite-nitrate quickly and consistently. Which leads me to suspect that the bacteria that process nitrite are perhaps less hardy/more prone to die of from storage time or conditions.

Once I'm happy with the overflows I partially fill them with PFS to create small remote deep sand beds. I used a base of 2" of PFS in the display(I'm shooting for 3-4" for a jawfish) and I ordered some oceans direct oolitic aragonite from BRS along with some plumbing supplies to hopefully finish the sand bed. Not sure how much that will affect the cycle but I'll let you know.

I'm hoping that within the next two weeks I'll get a call from the fabricator that my display fuge and ATO reservoir are ready for pickup and the setup on this can go forward. I picked up a Vectra M1 for a good price from a friend who changed his mind about using it and it will be the return pump that feeds the display and cryptic fuge.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered my ATO from Avast marine today. Also two 150 watt titanium heaters from amazon. Plugging forward slowly.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritzyme9 just added. It'll be interesting to see how fast it kicks in or if it doesn't help at all.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
added 40lbs of oceans direct oolite sand to top of the sand bed. I'd take a pic but the tank just looks like a fog bank at this point.

Of course when I shut the return pump off one of the fittings started to leak? I have no idea why shutting the pump down allowed it to start leaking but now I'm going to have to take it apart again and possibly rebuild the fitting.

To date the Fritzyme 9 hasn't seemed to do anything. Not sure if it's the product, how it was stored/shipped or something about my setup causing the slow startup. Going to keep testing and see if the sand kick starts the cycle.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
checked the water tonight after getting home from work.
ammonia 2-3ppm
nitrite=0
nitrate=0

might be time to order a bottle of Dr Tims or biospira to try and get this thing kick started. At least I have time to kill. Waiting on a couple sea swirls to arrive so I can redo the overflows to dual herbie and run my returns over the back to the sea swirls. Should have new powerheads coming for the wave maker on Monday(2 Sicce voyager3).

Patience is a virtue right?

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle appears to be starting finally. Starting to see some Nitrites and Nitrates. Looking back at the bottle the fritzyme9 wasn't anywhere near enough for my tank. They only rate the 8oz bottle for 20 gallons........oops. The "live" sand seems to have made up for it though and things are starting to process.

Just waiting on my sea swirls to arrive so I can redo my plumbing. Then I can start on cable management for all the power cords and running the RODI line.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the cycle seems to have stalled as I haven't seen much movement in a week. Added an 8oz bottle of Dr Tims(only rated for 40 gallons but it is what was available) and I'm hoping it'll push things over the edge. Installed one of those seachem ammonia badges which is reading in the green which is about half what I'm getting on the API test. The API test does seem to work as it shows 0ppm on my other tanks and consistently is in the 2ppm range on this one.

I still need to finish redoing my drains. I'm hoping to do it between today and tomorrow. But I'm having a heat pump installed tomorrow so I've got some drywall to prime today and the electrical disconnect to install tomorrow so we'll see how much progress I make.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redid the drains into a dual Herbie config. Just missing a few parts to make the returns functional. Those should be here Wednesday.
72ccdef9475a668407b0dcf6e8fb6bc5.jpg
610376d08a1b178a969d7122084eb57b.jpg

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the returns and the drain valves dialed in and everything is running pretty quiet. Now on to some cable management and to program the inkbird and add the heaters(2x 150Watt finnex titanium)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back