OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took a long time to get the tank up from room temp(20.6 C) to 26. So I double checked my heating choice. I concluded I'm on the low size wattage wise. I have 2 150W finnex titanium. I placed them on the baffle of the first section of the sump the thinking being that it would provide maximum water flow over the heaters themselves. I'm sure they'll hold it fine now that it's up to temp but over the next month I'll be adding a 55 gallon display fuge and a 29 gallon cryptic fuge. Using the old rule of thumb I should be using a least 630 Watts minimum and possibly as much as 1000W. The challenge is fitting them in. The 150W heaters are the perfect height for the sump. I have a 300W kicking around somewhere but it's taller than the sump and so the top would stick above the baffle. I could also go with two more 150w on a second inkbird which would definitely give me redundancy. I'll probably go with the 300W because I already have it, but it won't be on the inkbird because the plugs are already taken up by the 2 150s.

After watching the new BRStv video on flow I'm having to rethink mine. I was going by a 10x flow rate and used 2x sicce voyager3(1200pgh). Which gives me a capacity of <20x but since they since they alternate on a wavemaker its back down to <10x. I do have my returns plumbed through a couple sea swirls and added RFG nozzles on them which should help with random flow effects but my return pumps are only rated at around 870gph each(although throttled around a third down with a ball valve and adding head pressure and a reduction from the RFG nozzles likely considerably less). Considering moving the Sicce pumps to the back wall but still near the ends and angling them towards one another vectored toward the front center. Then placing two icecap gyre pumps on the ends to boost overall flow without blasting anything.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy diatoms Batman :)
4da5adeb7120d6281e7e6397d020b1e8.jpg

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up reworking my power cables and adding a powerstrip for more outlets. Took another look at the heaters and decided I didn't want to run three. So I removed the two 150W ones and moved the 300W to the glass weir. Now I need to pick up another 300W one and I'll be set. I have two icecap 3k gyres coming tomorrow which should solve any flow issues I have.

Hopefully I can solve the issue of hanging my refugium light tomorrow as well. We'll see how much time I have after work.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added two icecap gyre 3k that I splurged on from BRS during the BF sales. I think I have a good bit of flow now. Granted nothing like the 100x Randy was using as a guideline but I think it's more than enough for my setup.
ddcf7094f2c4fadc9d47c48d0c45bc08.jpg

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up the header tank from the acrylic shop. Now I just have to build a shelf that can support it :/
7e3483a15e2693702f60d8beade4512e.jpg

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped in at an LFS on the way home from a job interview. Picked up a skunk cleaner shrimp.

Got a small invert order from Saltwaterfish.com . tiger sand conch, astrea snails, tiger tail cuke, cleaner clams(going skimmerless), and a sponge crab(as a sump cleaner).

interestingly of the 5 cleaner clams 3 have opened up to feed and the other two buried themselves.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grapes of wrath platygyra glued to the left overflow. I originally got it from cultivatedreef awhile ago. It survived a tank crash of sorts when not much else did . Giving it a new chance to thrive in this tank.
a66be91f10aa541b296d2ebdce6f004b.jpg

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I "rescued" a small acan frag from another time and I'm breaking down. I thought it was gone because it had come loose and been buried by a pistol shrimp. So I stuck in here to see if it would bounce back which it seemed to be doing for the past week. Then I saw the Tahitian butterflyfish pick at it a bit and quite roughly. When it moved on the acan seemed ok. A little later I noticed the red mithrax crab picking at it but again I couldn't see any real damage. Well the frag was gone by the end of the following day.

I noticed that LA has changed Tahitian butterflyfish from reef safe with caution to NO. Something I noticed too late, although with caution still includes a little of risk.

So far it is ignoring a Duncan, lavender hairy shrooms, a carlgeni, platygyra, war coral, favia, and Jack olantern lep. I'll have to wait and see how it does.

If it turns out to be an issue with other corals iay have to move it.

I have to admit I thought I had won the lottery with this one as it converted to not pellets within two days. My Atlantic longnose butterflyfish took almost two weeks to start taking frozen brine and mysis.

Next up for coral additions chalice, Ric's, St Thomas, rock flower nem, St Thomas shrooms, torch and elegance. Hoping against reason perhaps that it doesn't care for any of those

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Header fuge shelf installed. This also allowed me to place a couple wire supports from the bottom of the shelf to keep the sea swirls level. No more bubbles or salt creep from my sea swirls and nozzles
b5bb28df9397f14b330be88e7c2fec1a.jpg

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you going to remove that butterfly? I would for sure.

I'm very intrigued by this header fuge concept.
I'm thinking about it. I guess it depends on if it devrlos a fondness for other coral types. Currently it doesn't pay any attention to platygyra, lep, war coral, hairy shrooms, Duncan, favia, or toadstool. It would probably make sense to just remove it and get something less risky. It does have a lot of personality though. Took frozen and freeze dried on day one and took nls pellets on day two and now almost eats from my hand

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back