OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fudged my overflow plumbing for the display refugium. Now I just have to bribe someone to help me put it on the "bookshelf" :)
287ff7180a5ed9afd505a5686d211d0c.jpg

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you could move it to that header fuge? Seems big enough.

Best of both worlds :)

Not sure it's big enough. Most places list them as 70 gallon minimum. Looking at a 75 gallon I have exactly the same horizontal swimming area but only around 45 gallons due to it being so shallow. Butterflies utilize a lot of the tank area as opposed to just back and forth. So while it should be OK for a 4-5inch fish I'm not sure how happy it would be.

The other concern is the zoas and palys in the display fuge. I suspect they would be on the menu for the tahitian.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got three current usa 660gph powerheads and a hub for them from Amazon today. Seem to be working OK. Now I have to just finish playing around with the controls to see what's the best arrangement for flow.

Also plumbed the open channel overflow drain. I did the full siphon as well but messed up my measurements and didn't have enough parts to do it over, so I have to wait until the parts come from BRS to finsih it.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After installing the led for the charts felt the light got a little hot. Apparently a common complaint because I got an email from the seller about many people being concerned about it. They were doing a pill and if too many people thought it was running too hot they would reduce power in future versions. I suggested they just improve the heat sink. As part of the email they suggested removing the silicone trim gasket for increased air flow which did improve it a bit. Instead of only being able to touch it for three seconds you could now hang on for five :). So I ordered a couple bags on 1" adhesive hest sinks to place directly behind the array. Still hot to the touch but it doesn't get so hot you have to let it go anymore.
bd6f7070bddace804a8d4fb17fcb47dc.jpg
32ac124e27c1ba28f70f0619ec658d7d.jpg

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my icp test back from ATI today. Only issues I see are elevated copper, tin, zinc(I'm seeing the same thing in another tank so likely source water issue and not an in tank corrosion problem) Manganese is low(same as other tank) but I'm not sure that it's important. Nitrates are high(not unexpected in a new tank). I'll order some polyfilter to help with the metal contaminants and tinker with my RODI unit to see what the issue is.

and the beat goes on......

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everything seems to be working. Still tuning it which isn't the easiest thing considering how it's plumbed :/. Heaters easily brought the extra 36 gallons of water from room to temperature to tank temperature. Never really saw much of a drop. Something like .3 degrees C. Of course the flow through the header tank isn't very high(#2 on the M1 with about 5ft of head). I may slow the return pumps in the DT to compensate for the extra flow from the header tank to slow the flow back down in the sump. My biggest concern when setting this up is that the extra drain back from the second tank would flood the sump. It didn't last night when testing but the ATO has since made up a little volume loss from getting everything dialed in so I have to retest. Wish me a floodless morning :)

Next is to setup up my a live rock QT(spare 20L) and place an order from gulfliverock.com. I think i'm going with their 17lb nano package. Although that may be more than I need when combined with stuff I already have. It's really cold out now so I may have to wait for a break in the temps before I order though :(

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating about a change in plans. I have an attempt at an sps dominant lionfish/predator 90 cube in my kitchen. I considering flipping these tanks coral wise and having this be my SPS tank and doing LPS in the lionfish tank. This tank has much more potential flow options lots more volume for stability and more room for maintenance. If i switch the other tank to LPS I could lower the light intensity which would probably make the Marine Betta and the lionfish happier and maybe more visible during the day.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added 40lbs of ocean direct original grade sand to the display fuge. It's not quite enough but I don't need another back so I'll make up the difference with some PFS. Started to QT my current mini maxi nems from my old 29. Trying to completely eliminate the aptasia and mojanos before I move them into the display fuge. I wanted to remove one from the rock it was on. Decided to chisel the rock apart so I could take the nem on a smaller chunk. Of course the rock broke in the middle of where the foot ran and tore the foot. Not sure if it'll recover at this point, but it's in QT with the other two. I've got one more in the 29 that's attached to the tank glass to remove. After that I'll create the island structure for them(hopefully they'll stay put.

Then I'll be ordering 1 or 2 from aquasd to finish off my maxi mini garden.

Getting there ever so slowly.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the 17 lb nano package from gulfliverock to finish the scape in the header fuge. Have it sitting in my 20l qt tank so I can pick it over before adding to the display
6125242611343c65218139825ff5914d.jpg
d5c110b3ad99c635b03b06f392cd217e.jpg

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news is the rock looked great. Bad news is there was a cold snap which killed off a ton of the life that would otherwise have been there :(.

Also been dealing with an algae outbreak in the header fuge but not the DT. Since the water is the same I have to chock it up to the different lighting and lower flow.

Added a 20 gallon quick crew from reefcleaners to help hold the algae at bay in the header fuge while I wait for the system to mature/settle down. Picked up a couple mermaids fan for one of the back corners(behind the mini maxi garden. I need to go kill a couple aiptasia I found in the header fuge rock(one from the gulfliverock and one from the lfs rock).

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a tank disaster last week. I moved a few fish from the 29 I"m tearing down into the display fuge(perc, talbots damsel, female sailfin Molly, Randall's prawn goby, as well as the maxi-mini nems I got from the lfs. I had kept the maxi minis in the 29 for a week while I got rid of some hitchhiker aiptasia. I was getting ready to add the live rock from gulfliverock a couple days later when I noticed my butterflyfish acting strange. Looked like ich/velvet. I didn't have any medicines on hand(haven't needed any in years so I never got around to replacing them) so I ordered some. I just had knee surgery so driving the 1.5hrs to the LFS wasn't an option. The Atlantic longnose was in obvious distress the following day. I did a FW dip and returned him to the dt while I worked on setting up a hospital tank. He was gone the next day and the Tahitian had gotten worse. It was dead the following day. The next day the perc and damsel were looking strange but I couldn't catch them. Netted them the next day and did a FW dip(they didn't look good afterwards) and started a half dose of cupramine but they were gone by that afternoon. I did dose Rally while I was trying to catch the clown and damsel to help buy time but it didn't seem to help as they were possibly already overwhelmed by the infection at that point.

Strangely enough the remaining fish including the Molly seems perfectly fine. Strange that of all the fish(which came from the same tank mind you) the Molly would be the resistant one. Now I've got to figure out how to trap out the remaining fish to start and fallow period :(

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a tank disaster last week. I moved a few fish from the 29 I"m tearing down into the display fuge(perc, talbots damsel, female sailfin Molly, Randall's prawn goby, as well as the maxi-mini nems I got from the lfs. I had kept the maxi minis in the 29 for a week while I got rid of some hitchhiker aiptasia. I was getting ready to add the live rock from gulfliverock a couple days later when I noticed my butterflyfish acting strange. Looked like ich/velvet. I didn't have any medicines on hand(haven't needed any in years so I never got around to replacing them) so I ordered some. I just had knee surgery so driving the 1.5hrs to the LFS wasn't an option. The Atlantic longnose was in obvious distress the following day. I did a FW dip and returned him to the dt while I worked on setting up a hospital tank. He was gone the next day and the Tahitian had gotten worse. It was dead the following day. The next day the perc and damsel were looking strange but I couldn't catch them. Netted them the next day and did a FW dip(they didn't look good afterwards) and started a half dose of cupramine but they were gone by that afternoon. I did dose Rally while I was trying to catch the clown and damsel to help buy time but it didn't seem to help as they were possibly already overwhelmed by the infection at that point.

Strangely enough the remaining fish including the Molly seems perfectly fine. Strange that of all the fish(which came from the same tank mind you) the Molly would be the resistant one. Now I've got to figure out how to trap out the remaining fish to start and fallow period :(

Absolute bummer. Sorry to hear.

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolute bummer. Sorry to hear.
Yeah it really stinks. Still not sure what it came in on as I hadn't added anything new in awhile and tank parameters where getting better not worse. So I'm going to bulk up on some inverts and corals as I try to catch the remaining fish so I can start the fallow clock. Got some maxi-mini anemones and a couple zoa frags from aquasd. A group of sexy shrimp(for the maxi mini garden) a tonga fighting conch(1 for the dt and 1 for the display fuge) and a strawberry crab for the DT. Hoping to take a trip up to Cultivatedreef next week to pick up some more frags. Time to dig out the mr clean eraser so I can take a couple close up picks in the display fuge.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back