125g build

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently posted about getting a new tank. It's 5'L x 2'D x 18"W. Its a custom built. A glass guy made it and he went up to a 300g. I decided to go with a 55L tank for my sump. I'm going to put baffles and such in it with an area for a fuge/ time out area for bully fish. My question is with my protein skimmer. I currently have a magnus skimmer rated for 80g and i also have a sac 301 skimmer rated for 65g. Can i use both skimmers to handle the bio load? Or should i sell both skimmers and get rated to like 150g?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the space in your sump, two skimmers should work fine. There are two minor disadvantages I can see right off the bat, however. The first being power consumption, two smaller pumps will consumer more electricity than one slightly larger pump (although we are probably talking a dollar or two a year)... The second being the collection cups, two smaller cups might need to be cleaned more frequently than one larger cup.

OP
OP
jpontier212

jpontier212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the space in your sump, two skimmers should work fine. There are two minor disadvantages I can see right off the bat, however. The first being power consumption, two smaller pumps will consumer more electricity than one slightly larger pump (although we are probably talking a dollar or two a year)... The second being the collection cups, two smaller cups might need to be cleaned more frequently than one larger cup.
I thank you for the input. There's more than plenty of room. I was just wondering about the effectiveness of 2 vs 1. [emoji2]

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back