125G stocking suggestions

RuuToo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extremely old reef (almost 20 years, but its been transferred and refreshed as I've moved several times) - its been in its current state for about 4 years, and is humming along quite nicely. However... I've also done a very light fish stocking, and I suspect that it would probably be doing better with a slightly higher fish load (my nitrates/phosphates are both getting extremely low with ULR checkers, and there's a bunch of coral mass to feed). I currently have:

The nicest potters angel I've ever seen
A perennially small yellow tang
3 small clowns
1 Purple firefish
1 sapphire damsel
2 bangai cardinals
1 (extremely small) snowflake eel (in a separate growout tank sharing the sump)

The tank is about half anemones and half mixed reef (heavy on the SPS) with a shallow (and currently quite clean) sandbed. Main tank is a 6' 125, with a 30 gallon growout underneath (plus a refugium and a turf scrubber, hence the need for nutrients)

Any stocking suggestions? I quite like the idea of picking up an auto-feeder and getting a small school of something (I've never done chromis or anthias before, for example), but I'm looking for peaceful colorful and a good fit for the rest of the inhabitants.

Dave

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add wrasse or two. Melanurus or yellow 'coris' are good ones.

You could try some anthias, if you're up to the challenge. Different species have different levels of difficulty. Most people are eventually disappointed by groups of Chromis, but it might be worth it to you to try. Just QT Chromis, as they can bring in a nasty bacterial disease called Uronema.

MPrz59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extremely old reef (almost 20 years, but its been transferred and refreshed as I've moved several times) - its been in its current state for about 4 years, and is humming along quite nicely. However... I've also done a very light fish stocking, and I suspect that it would probably be doing better with a slightly higher fish load (my nitrates/phosphates are both getting extremely low with ULR checkers, and there's a bunch of coral mass to feed). I currently have:

The nicest potters angel I've ever seen
A perennially small yellow tang
3 small clowns
1 Purple firefish
1 sapphire damsel
2 bangai cardinals
1 (extremely small) snowflake eel (in a separate growout tank sharing the sump)

The tank is about half anemones and half mixed reef (heavy on the SPS) with a shallow (and currently quite clean) sandbed. Main tank is a 6' 125, with a 30 gallon growout underneath (plus a refugium and a turf scrubber, hence the need for nutrients)

Any stocking suggestions? I quite like the idea of picking up an auto-feeder and getting a small school of something (I've never done chromis or anthias before, for example), but I'm looking for peaceful colorful and a good fit for the rest of the inhabitants.

Dave
If you have a good lid some fairy wrasses would look nice

guylaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah your way under stocked!

You could add a bristle tooth tang like a Kole or Tomin a Hawkfish like a Longnose or Flame.

Some sort of blenny, a few anthias, a wrasse or two.

If the YT is small you could try a Copper Band (get as large as you can).

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back