126 Gallon 'Forest' Idea & Questions

Salt Addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what started as a 125 gallon pred reef is taking on a life of its own. To that extent I was thinking of doing a sort of macro algae forest of sorts and was wondering if anyone knew of the following:

1) Somewhere to get actual seaweed, the tall stuff. (Apparently it is illegal to take from the beach)
1A) If I a mistaken about it being illegal, how would you quarantine/cleanse it of nasty stuff?

2) Any site other than reef cleaners or Algae barn? Almost everywhere I have checked is sold out currently.

3) Species that absorb calcium but dont leech it if they die?

4) Species ideas? (Currently have a dogface puffer, black edge moray, Vtail grouper & a Bicolor foxface)

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live collection of seaweed suffers during winter months because of harsh boating conditions. Collections in the Gulf of Mexico will pick up in April.

Collection of seaweed on the beach in Texas is allowed. Unless Florida state law has changed, collection of seaweed on beach is allowed there as well.

in my experience, Gulf Coast EcoSystems, serves me best for seaweed.

with respect to question #3, the answer is all will leach minerals after they die.

Considering the Foxface, I suggest you forget about macro in your tank.

To know more about seaweed, I suggest you read this free guide from GCE.
Table of Contents

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“If I a mistaken about it being illegal, how would you quarantine/cleanse it of nasty stuff?”

@Salt Addiction
If quarantine is important to you, then by all means do so. A 5G bucket with air bubbler and light would suffice.

At the most, I would fresh water dip for 5 minutes.

With respect to tall seaweed, if your lights are intense, I suggest you try Sargassum Seaweed.

Species of the brown algae Sargassum are among the most prolific of all brown algae in the Caribbean. These include both the anchored and free floating varieties. As a group, they are highly variable in shape, size and distribution and can survive in much cooler water than other tropical macro algae. The anchored varieties are of the most interest to the aquarium hobby, as the free floating patches such as S. Fluitans are not easily kept. Species of Sargassum Hystrix feature large, dark brown leaves with a distinctive white mid rib. This particular variation, identified as Buxifolium (pictured) shares the same basic characteristics, but lacks the pronounced mid rib. It is a shallow water variety, found in depths of about 45 feet, that grows attached to rocks or other hard surfaces by a single holdfast. Most anchored varieties have a very sturdy, thick upright, that is able to securely anchor itself in very turbulent environments. In the aquarium they require bright lighting and moderate to high flow rates for optimal growth.​
Aquarium Care Information
Scientific Name: Sargassum Hystrix Sp.
Common Name: Sargassum
Origin: Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean, Atlantic
Depth Collected: 3 - 45 feet
Maximum Height : 24"
Growth Rate: Slow
Light: High
Temperature: 68-78
Propagation: Fragmentation, Sporulation
Difficulty: Advanced
Food Value: Not very palatable
Nutrient Uptake: Fair
Flow Rate: Moderate to High
Copyright © 2010 GCE All rights reserved. No part of this online publication may be reproduced in any form by any means without the expressed permission of the author. All images are the property of Gulf Coast Ecosystems unle​

CoralScape123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to find stuff for my 10 gallon coral/algae hybrid tank. Most sites I've seen are low on stock and it doesn't make sense to pick and choose from several different sites due to shipping. Best one right now is this site. https://www.aquaculturenurseryfarms.com/macro-algae-saltwater-plants/?sort=featured&page=2

They have a good selection (most of it still unavailable, but they do have more available as of now than many other places) Good portion for $20. They said golf ball size, but when it came it was bigger than my hand.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your stocking list. The eel in a macro tank is going to be really cool. The foxface may eat the macro though, right? They are herbivores if I am not mistaken.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to find stuff for my 10 gallon coral/algae hybrid tank. Most sites I've seen are low on stock and it doesn't make sense to pick and choose from several different sites due to shipping. Best one right now is this site. https://www.aquaculturenurseryfarms.com/macro-algae-saltwater-plants/?sort=featured&page=2

They have a good selection (most of it still unavailable, but they do have more available as of now than many other places) Good portion for $20. They said golf ball size, but when it came it was bigger than my hand.

Impressive website. Very unique selection of ornamental sponges & bryozoan. I find their prices too high for me. but that‘s the price you pay for “pest free” and free shipping.

On my brothers business website his philosophy was,
”Quality is not Expensive, it’s Priceless.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salt Addiction

Salt Addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your stocking list. The eel in a macro tank is going to be really cool. The foxface may eat the macro though, right? They are herbivores if I am not mistaken.

They are, I was figuring I would be actively replacing macro from time to time as he eats it, or try to find ones he does not like over the sheets I attach via clip right now. I am hoping maybe he is like the rest of the tank as they are sort of weird and leave alot of things I would consider food items alone such as some urchin hitchhikers and the like that I figured would of been on the menu pretty quick.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 61 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.5%
Back