12gal stocking ideas

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12 gallon aquapod currently stocked with a tailspot blenny and a yellow clown goby. I want to add one or two more fish. Currently the tailspot picks on the clown goby from time-to-time. I think adding another fish might mitigate this some.

I do really like clownfish. I was planning on avoiding them because of their aggressive tendencies. With the current stocking I think there would only be room for a single clown. Are ocellaris or percula clowns less aggressive when kept singly?

The LFS has some nice six-line wrasses. However, I've heard that these guys can be real nightmares, and it sounds like the 12 gallon would barely have room for one. They do have excellent coloration.

I was also thinking about some safer choices like a neon, sharknose, or court jester goby. Which of these would be the most active?

Any other suggestions?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12 gallon aquapod currently stocked with a tailspot blenny and a yellow clown goby. I want to add one or two more fish. Currently the tailspot picks on the clown goby from time-to-time. I think adding another fish might mitigate this some.

I do really like clownfish. I was planning on avoiding them because of their aggressive tendencies. With the current stocking I think there would only be room for a single clown. Are ocellaris or percula clowns less aggressive when kept singly?

The LFS has some nice six-line wrasses. However, I've heard that these guys can be real nightmares, and it sounds like the 12 gallon would barely have room for one. They do have excellent coloration.

I was also thinking about some safer choices like a neon, sharknose, or court jester goby. Which of these would be the most active?

Any other suggestions?
I wouldn’t do the clown as even alone they’re highly aggressive. I have a lone female and she bites more than my Old Occelairs pair ever did.
As for the six lines this is the same as the above however a good alternative that is much more peaceful is PseudocheilinOPS ataenia- Not the Pseudocheilinus genus that the “Lined” Wrasses are in.
34FB77A6-193D-408B-9101-42408FC3D7B3.jpeg

Out of the three you mentioned, I’d look into the Hectors Goby as I find them to have more colour and personality than Rainfordi does. However the Koumansetta genus is more active than the other two.
7489F831-3CBD-4F9B-BC5D-EB602A0DFF11.jpeg

As for the blenny on the goby, my blenny would perch everywhere and anywhere but I added a barnacle cluster and he now mainly remains in there the whole time.
A0D42236-4DD0-4B57-847F-88182C54DC83.jpeg

OP
OP
Z

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do the clown as even alone they’re highly aggressive. I have a lone female and she bites more than my Old Occelairs pair ever did.
As for the six lines this is the same as the above however a good alternative that is much more peaceful is PseudocheilinOPS ataenia- Not the Pseudocheilinus genus that the “Lined” Wrasses are in.
34FB77A6-193D-408B-9101-42408FC3D7B3.jpeg

Out of the three you mentioned, I’d look into the Hectors Goby as I find them to have more colour and personality than Rainfordi does. However the Koumansetta genus is more active than the other two.
7489F831-3CBD-4F9B-BC5D-EB602A0DFF11.jpeg

As for the blenny on the goby, my blenny would perch everywhere and anywhere but I added a barnacle cluster and he now mainly remains in there the whole time.
A0D42236-4DD0-4B57-847F-88182C54DC83.jpeg
Thanks for the reply! I guess I'll keep an eye out for a Koumansetta genus goby at my LFS. I like their markings more than the other gobies anyway.

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding some line of sight breaks may help with aggression, but I agree that adding a clown is ill advised. If you do, go ocellaris over percula.

Though every fish has its own personality.

Another suggestion would be a Hector's goby. They are small, mild mannered, pick at hair algae, and quick moving. A very underrated fish and I love mine.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding some line of sight breaks may help with aggression, but I agree that adding a clown is ill advised. If you do, go ocellaris over percula.

Though every fish has its own personality.

Another suggestion would be a Hector's goby. They are small, mild mannered, pick at hair algae, and quick moving. A very underrated fish and I love mine.
Hector gobies are also one of the only gobies known to eat cyano and I have personally witnessed mine eating it. They eat almost all algae and help to keep the sand bed up so that’s always a plus but don’t get a fish because it does something, get it because you like it if it helps in any way that’s just a plus side to it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • None.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.2%
Back