13.5 Fluval Evo Build Thread: Mixed Reef (Photo Heavy!)

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Biota Mandarin to help with the flatworm problems (and because they're awesome). In my 15 years of reefing I have never once gotten a chance to have a Mandarin! Only reason I bought it is because it is literally 1-2cms large (about the size of a zoanthid polyp), tank raised (they stay smaller), and already eating frozen + flatworms. At the current size of the fish my 13.5 evo is like a 200 gallon for it lol. Once it gets larger I can cycle it through my other tanks also seeing it decimates the pod population eventually. I imagine that will take 1-2 years though.

When I put it in the tank it was SO small that the Helfrichi Firefish must have thought it was a piece of krill. Grabbed it like a shark and starting shaking it around! I put my hand in to try to intervene and the firefish got scared, and let go. Luckily and surprisingly the Mandarin seemed unphased and started picking at the rocks moments after. I woke up this morning and it is still fine!

My biggest concern is something in the tank even a coral eating it o_O I was originally going to put it in my 5 gallon as raising system until it gets larger, but I have some really aggressive Maxi Minis in there and thought it would be a bad idea.

Photos coming soon! I should've taken some when I had it acclimating.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some photos slowly zooming out just so you can really get a size reference, I don’t normally name fish but keep calling her squirt. You can use the hermit shell, green bubble algae, or planaria for size reference to see how tiny she really is!
IMG_2286.jpeg
IMG_2287.jpeg
IMG_2289.jpeg
IMG_2290.jpeg

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been looking nice lately so I’ll be doing a round of photos. I swear it always looks best around spring and early summer.

I reworked the tank a bit. Here is the new blasto garden!
IMG_2471.jpeg
IMG_2469.jpeg

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking little nano. Love the mandarin, she is super tiny!
Thank you! I never thought a fish could get so small. I think she has close to doubled in size already. I will try to get another update shot when I can, but she is still a little timid of me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back