13.5 gallon macro softie nano

Bought my first trochus today! It's a really funny guy, with all the antennae and filaments. The reason i bought it was because of the beautiful red algae on it's shell, i hope the algae will grow and spread.

Screenshot_2025-02-21-01-43-30-334_com.miui.videoplayer-edit.jpg
 
Bought my first trochus today! It's a really funny guy, with all the antennae and filaments. The reason i bought it was because of the beautiful red algae on it's shell, i hope the algae will grow and spread.

Screenshot_2025-02-21-01-43-30-334_com.miui.videoplayer-edit.jpg
Also, the segmented blenny DID NOT like the snail. He was scared and even abandoned his hiding spot for a few minutes going straight to the barnacles on the other side of the tank.



IMG_20250220_191029.jpg
 
nice, I like your tank. I'm starting something similar in a five gallon, very low maintenance and stress.
Yeah, i like everything low maintenance, it just looks better to me and way less stress and money. Still I'm sometimes stressing about planning something for the tank, or while doing something. Like one time a week ago i wanted to move a frag, collapsed half a rockwork and needed to do a little rescape.

Also, as said in previus posts, i want to upgrade to a bigger volume, only because i want to complete the scape potential and to give fish more room, because for now it's ok for them, but if they had more they would've appreciated it. And I'm hopefully wont add a lot of additional fish.

But overall the rockwork and corals feel cramped. They only started to growing in small colonies and already ran out of space. And i still can't grow a lot of easy algaes or they grow slowly, so I think in a small tank nutrients are uptaken very fast, but too much nutrients causes cyano. I've seen a few examples of mixed coral and algae tanks where the coral eventually got bigger and the algae died out, and i thibk my tank is an example of that. Maybe if i will be able to grow a lot of algae i just will buy some coral eating shrimp to destroy the corals that were left and make my shallow fast flow algae fantasy, we will see. It's not like i won't be able to get xenia or anthelia if i would want to grow them again.
 
here is the tank
IMG_5943.jpeg
One day... Maybe... In the future... If the stars will line up just right... I might be able to grow caulerpa taxifolia/something similar... For now, the only algaes i was able to grow in mass were chaeto, halimeda and grape caulerpa, and i was able to grow gracilaria a little... I don't know why, but i think the reason was - at start my tank was devoid of nutrients because of small amounts of small fish and feedings mainly of live bbs, a piece of tank ressurected live rock(dry rock that was made alive by being in a system for a few months) and live sand. I also had a ball of chaeto. So nutrients vere being used up quickly. When i got rid of chaeto i had small established coral colonies and too small nutrient levels still, so my zoas and some algae died, before i started dosing nitrates and phosphates. Now i feed a lot of frozen, and not live food, and have a lot of fish(as i said, its like 70% of what i want to put in a 30-40 gallon sitting in 15 as juveniles), but there is barely any spot in the tank without a coral or algae, so it all gets used up as fast as it appears. I hope that a bigger tank will provide more wiggle room, and i will think about removing chaeto so i can grow something in its place. Having a halymenia/halimeda forest will be nice. Or to grow my cladafora tonmore presentable colonies. Or to allow grape algae ro proliferate. The only plus the chaeto has is it's like a sponge - a safe heaven for microfauna, catches detritus, easy to remove and can be used as a "live" rock replacement in places it would be too risky/impractical to put.

(I don't know why i type so much, but ok)
 
Update. Tank is doing fine. I got rid of parazoanthus, left only a small frag of it in a 13 g container where i am making marco rock and lava into a live rock for the 30 g i plan to make. That storage tank, which i call "The Trash Can" is also harbouring any excess coral, algae or rocks i had in the main tank, which allowed me to make a better scape.
Segmented blenny jumped out 2 month ago while i did a rescape. I was shocked to find him, he was still alive but died in the tank. I love and hate blennies, they are so cute, smart and funny but they are the only type fish that constantly dies in my care, and it would be ok if they died from something i did wrong, but they die from random reasons that are not dependent on the conditions of the tank every single time(tumours and jumping out from a tank with a lid/me being near the tank)...
Mollies slowly died one by one, the last one lived in The Trash Can for a month until it started swimming on the side and going in circles, so after a day of this i eutanised it. Never will get mollies again, it ain't worth it.

Other fish are doing fine, coral and algae grow. I still have cyano and dinos, but it's manageable abd i don't care, because i have a lot of coral and algae biomass that look beautiful .

I have a few additions.
Firstly, a juvenile starry blenny. He is huge (compared to other fish in the tank of course , he is like 2.5 inches) and eats like a pig. Too big to jump out, hope he won't get testicular cancer or something, who knows these blennies at this point. Cool fish, does not know the word boundaries (likes to invade goby's burrow a few times a week with different success), likes to sit with green clown goby on corals, changes colour depending on the mood, leaves a lot of kisses on the glass.

I also got a small hermit, which i wanted a lot. I don't know the species exactly, but it's small and i think it is an indo Pacific version of dwarf blue hermit, but grey orange instead of blue. Will get more in the future.

I also got 2 azure damsels(longer bigger slimmer male and smaller fatter female) 4 days ago, and they are beautiful angels. I wanted to buy them when i would have the 30 g, but was afraid that they will harass the other fish. Funniest thing is - they were the ones that were harassed. By the blenny. He did attack them from the rockwork like a tiger for a few days, but now they are chill and swim near eachother. Cool looking active fish, they ate the day i got them(which is a miracle, considering half the fish i had before needed live foods(clown gobies) or tying the food to a piece of rock (segmented blenny) or long build-up of trust until i was able to feed them(shrimp gobies)). They don't fight with other fish or with eachother and i hope it will stay that way. If they became boisterous i will always have a personal 13 g The Trash Can just for them. I think the reason they are chill is because they were added last, the tank has a lot of places to hide, is mature and has a lot of corals and algae and i have more than 1. So they have minimum stress. I will update on them after a few months/half a year and maybe will make a post about their care, so more people can keep them without stressing out the damsels themselves or other fish .

This is pretty much all that happened, i will probably update when i will make transfer to a 30 g.

Tank photo made just a few minutes ago
IMG_20250510_112855.jpg
 
can I just say that I really like your tank. blennies can be mean for no reason
Thank you) I know blennies can be meanies,but their fun looks and personality is why i love them so much, they are my favourite fishes after all.)
 


I made a video, because the tank looked gorgeous. Unfortunately i can't take a better video with my phone, but it looks pretty much like the picture i found on reef builders, just on the smaller scale. After this tank i will try to put as many of my tanks near a window as possible, artificial lights can't compare with the beauty of the sun. I need cooler fans in sunny warm weather tho, because without them the tank gets pretty warm. Nobody minds, but i think living and breathing in a 25 C°(77F°) water for a fish is much more comfortable than to live in 27 C°(80-81 F°).

Also, the upgrade to a 30 gallon is nearing and will hopefully happen in July. I pretty much have the stock for a 30 g in 15 gallon, but the animals don't mind and i think i will need to dose a lot more in 30 g, considering the double increase of water to poop ratio and more place for algaes and corals to grow.

The picture i found on reef builders(if only i could get the sun to light my tank from all sides and not just the back/top side):
IMG_20250512_183335.jpg
 
(if only i could get the sun to light my tank from all sides and not just the back/top side):
On the other side, it gives really cool contrast between sunlit areas with corals and dark blenny caves underneath.
 
At the end of the next week is my birthday and i want to make it truly special and upgrade on my birthday... This year was so cool, i learned so much about fish behaviour and aquariums in general... I hope the upgrade will teach me even more and be as beautiful as the tank i have now... I will post a picture of an upgrade and create a new thread after i start the tank.

Picture of the tank
Screenshot_2025-06-18-11-20-45-075_com.miui.mediaviewer.jpg


In the new tank i will try dolomite gravel instead of sand. It looks really cool, just like coral rubble but without snail shells(which i can get plenty of if i will go to the black sea that summer). The funniest thing is i started with the love of sand and now i despise it...) The change of substrate is mainly because i want to have something more available for pods and worms and something i can easily vacuum. Stay updated)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new