1370 gallon propagation system

Rcfiftyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through this whole thread. Very impressive. Im putting together somthing similar on a smaller scale (750 gal total) so I can appreciate the amount of work and planning involved. Any tips for making quality wholesaler connections? Im encountering a lot of resistance because I do not have or plan to have a storefront. You obviously have made some great sources. Thanks and great work!

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through this whole thread. Very impressive. Im putting together somthing similar on a smaller scale (750 gal total) so I can appreciate the amount of work and planning involved. Any tips for making quality wholesaler connections? Im encountering a lot of resistance because I do not have or plan to have a storefront. You obviously have made some great sources. Thanks and great work!

Look into trans shippers. They seem to pop up a lot on Facebook due to all the groups and sale pages started there. I'm a small business owner without a store front and have my own FB business page. They contact me often trying to get me to place orders. But I currently have a US vendor that I deal with that ships directly to my house so no airport running around anymore LOL

OP
OP
Reefer93105

Reefer93105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been awhile since I really updated. As some of you may already know my main system took a beating almost 2 months ago from chlorine/chloramines breaking through my RO/DI unit. Acros tips started to die off and eventually started to move down. It took me two weeks to figure out what was going on. There were no ALK swings and parameters were all pretty normal except for elevated nickel from a Triton test result. Not sure how long the system have been topping off with contaminated RO/DI water. Not knowing, I did a 100g water change with this water. Eventually it got worse. A livestock supplier advised me to check my top off water. Called a local water company to test and the result after the DI showed .003 free chlorine/.06 total chlorine. I have since added two 4X20 catalytic carbon canisters with the existing two carbon blocks to my RO/DI unit. Not taking any chances I test for free chlorine and total chlorine with Hach CN-70 every time I fill up my RO/DI storage tank. After hundreds of gallons water change the system is back to normal. I manage to save some brown acros but some were just too badly beat up they eventually didn't make it. Lost over 100 acro colonies and roughly three 1 gallon bucket of frags.
But I'm back at it again with 150 new acro colonies in the next few weeks. Never a dull moment.

Here's a pic of some of the damage.
IMG_1368.JPG

OP
OP
Reefer93105

Reefer93105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics of the 50 new colonies cooking that I picked up a week ago. Going to pick up another 50 tomorrow and another 50 the following week. I have since added 4 ATI blue plus with the radions on each tub.

IMG_9966.JPG

IMG_9972.JPG

IMG_9973.JPG

IMG_9976.JPG

IMG_9978.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses. I freak out when I lose one colony, I can't imagine what it's like to lose 100. The information you have provided can be very valuable to other reefers that may experience the same issue. The new ones look beautiful. Maybe you would be interested in selling frags to me to help offset and recover some of your unexpected expenses. I would be very interested.

marcoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, so sorry! It is very admirable you are able to get right back up and hit it harder the second time around.

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any updates? I just read the whole thread and would love to see what's up with this! Also, what is your business name?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 69 28.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back