14 gallon stock ???

billblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many small fish can I really pit into a 14 gallon biocube.any suggestions on a stocklist

captbenjy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 5. Clown, red scooter blenny, green clown goby, yellow damsel, and an unknown puffer. Also an Seabee anemone, multiple corals, cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp and cuc. A little over loaded I know but the 120 isn't ready yet, and my cube isn't stock either. Old pic of a dirty tank.

94205b75731399f38a59f80c4d46fa6e.jpg

captbenjy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's actually not the picture I wanted to upload, but you get the idea. Tank looks better than that now. More growth and expansion.

ReefPops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 14 a long time ago and just did a pair of clowns. I'd say try to stay in the 2-3 range. In my experience the less fish you have the "easier" it'll be to maintain a healthy tank.

OP
OP
B

billblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still beautiful.i just want a simple pair of clowns.ive read different opinions about pairing them.is that a 14?.also do u happen to know if the factory white will help grow soft(maybe hard)cotals and please share your experience on blue leds.thank much for input.still nice looking tank.love to see more pics.also any opinions on frags?

captbenjy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's a 14. I added the blue LEDs for more pop of color during the day when the PC lights are on. I ditched the bio balls and got an intank media basket so I could run chemi pure elite and purigen with filter floss on top. I was running the skimmer but I work offshore and if you don't adjust it everyday or two it doesn't work so well so I shucked it. Now I just get my wife to change out the floss pretty often. 1 gallon water change every week. Corals are growing slowly but surely. As for frags, once it's established I'd recommend a Duncan, mushrooms, toadstool leathers, elegance, polyps, and hammers. All seem to be real easy and hardy for the cube. If you've got room that big brain I've got on top looks cool but I hate where it's at. I'm building a 120 and everything will move there except my anemone and clown probably.

OP
OP
B

billblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey people.can I mix a strong saltwater mix into a 5 gal bucket then add the other 9,in decloranated into my 14 gal

captbenjy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you're just starting up your cube. I added my sand to the empty tank then measured how much salt I would need and placed it into a large bowl which I put in the cube then started pouring in distilled water since I couldn't get my hands on any RODI water. Then just turned the pumps on and let it cycle. After it started clearing up I checked salinity and had to add more fresh water.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO No way I'd put a pair of clowns in a 14g. Why you ask? Because they're mean as hell! Yes I said mean as in they'll be biting the crap out of you every time you put your hand in the tank, and you will be putting your hands in your tank :)

captbenjy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true. I've only got one and he lets me know its his tank. When I feed the anemone I use a pair of 18" tweezers and its nipping at those as well as my hand. Mean little sucker.

OP
OP
B

billblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just starting it up.belive I got old salt as I was given the tank with custom 77 watt led system,120 pounds of dead rick,numerous old chemicals and open salt.so I ordered new salt and plan on mixing it the same way.bleaching coral.then going to let it soak and sun itself.i have a 220 with African cichlids and another empty 220 .for salty.so this bio cube is my trial and error experiment.thanku for helping

OP
OP
B

billblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this went to wrong place.i was addressing a cloudy salt mix issue.not sure how it came to this thread.....any ideas now that im here.im mixing them in 3 five gallon buckets with powerful sumo pumps with lids????.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back