140g DROP OFF REEF (THE REAL ONE)

JLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the lighting, I would go with Kessils, if I were you; at least for the deep end of it. The Kessils (or possibly Maxspect Celestial (I am not sure how the two compare)) are the only kind of lighting I can see penetrating that depth. If I were you, I would have 2-3 Kessils (depending on the length of the tank and your corals' needs): one for the shallow end, one for the deep end, and possibly one in between if the other two can't cover that area well. Or you could do something like ReefBreeders, Nano Box Reef, Build My LED, or AI for the shallow end and have a Kessil on the deep end. That would probably save you some money; Kessils aren't exactly cheap.

Giddyup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slicker than spit! As I am having my Marco rock crack and break up, pieces falling to sand bed, you should plan for what happens if those vertical wall pieces let go :( Love the tank, subscribed! :)

OP
OP
27ppatel

27ppatel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow....this is amazing.

One question I have is how are you going to handle flow in the lower drop off?

I will be posting pictures in 5 mins! :p If you look at the vertical wall were the drop off happens. I've cut out a circle to fit a MP40 there! it does a WONDERFUL job!

OP
OP
27ppatel

27ppatel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the lighting, I would go with Kessils, if I were you; at least for the deep end of it. The Kessils (or possibly Maxspect Celestial (I am not sure how the two compare)) are the only kind of lighting I can see penetrating that depth. If I were you, I would have 2-3 Kessils (depending on the length of the tank and your corals' needs): one for the shallow end, one for the deep end, and possibly one in between if the other two can't cover that area well. Or you could do something like ReefBreeders, Nano Box Reef, Build My LED, or AI for the shallow end and have a Kessil on the deep end. That would probably save you some money; Kessils aren't exactly cheap.

You are 100% right about lighting and for Kessil lights. However I won't be having Corals 40" down. This is mainly going to be a SPS tank and the lowest depth a SPS coral will be at is about 30" The Hydra will easily hit that low. But I am looking into another Hydra to put on the other side.

OP
OP
27ppatel

27ppatel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice I have a nano drop off. Also been thinking of making a larger one. You have a very nice tank.

Hi there. Yea it LOVE this one! I really have no complaints. This is really built bullet proof! Reach out to the guys a Primo Reef Acrylics. I'm sure they can accommodate you with something. I would say use me as a referral but I'm the first one to have a "AT HOME 40" drop" so I'm sure they know who you are speaking about if you use me as reference.

OP
OP
27ppatel

27ppatel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love tanks like this. Love the single pane of glass too. Can't wait to see it come together. I'm so jealous.

You know what, that single pane glass is EXACTLY what I wanted. I know a few others out there have attempted to go with a two piece glass format and.... MAN, I'm no engineer, but I would NEVER attempt to buy that! way to risky!

OP
OP
27ppatel

27ppatel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright fans! I want to thank everyone with all the comments! I think you guys seem more interested and excited then me! :p

Here are a few updates on the tank and what's happening. I have a small batch of corals in for a test run. So far, so good! As for fish, I have one China Wrasse (Live Aquaria), one Coral Hog Fish, 4 Mexican turbo snails, 1 coral banded shrimp, 1 captive breed Jack Knife Fish, 2 Sand shifting star fish.

IMG_6865.JPG
IMG_6866.JPG
IMG_6867.JPG
IMG_6868.JPG

IMG_6864.JPG

OP
OP
27ppatel

27ppatel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! There building skills on the tank look superb , did they use white silicone? It looks great !

Thanks. Yea I was just tired of seeing Black and Clear silicone that EVERYONE had. I seen just a handful of tanks that Primo Reef Acrylics made that was white. At first I was really worried about the inside silicone bead going algae crazy. But I took a shot at it anyways. But the thing that surprised me was that there was NO silicone bead on the inside of the tank. I called the company and asked their reason for this and they assured me that the building techniques allow them to safely have no "inside silicone bead" and that they use the european method of building luxury aquariums. So because of no inside bead, there is minimal to no algae build up.

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang that's sweet! Did u notice any air bubbles in the euro or anywhere? Really looks great I like the white as much as I like the black , I'm interested to see how it holds up... Aqua scape looks nice as well great work !

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back