14th Day QT in Copper now Cloudy Eye

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Bangaii Cardinal has been in therapeutic copper for 14 days, was looking good. I wove GC and Metro through out using the sticky post. Came home from work and the Eye is clouded over. Fish looked great yesterday and this morning. My sterile tank is ready to go, should I dump him in it? At this point I see why not.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Bangaii Cardinal has been in therapeutic copper for 14 days, was looking good. I wove GC and Metro through out using the sticky post. Came home from work and the Eye is clouded over. Fish looked great yesterday and this morning. My sterile tank is ready to go, should I dump him in it? At this point I see why not.

Yes, when you say you used GC and Metro did you treat the water column or the food? Have you ever done a FW dip to check for flukes?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are Prazi resistant flukes and a single cloudy eye is a symptom of flukes. I would do a FW dip to rule out flukes.

+1

If you find flukes, you can do a fenbendazole bath prior to moving to the sterile tank.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

If you find flukes, you can do a fenbendazole bath prior to moving to the sterile tank.

Yes, Fenbendazole is very gentle on fish. 125mg per gallon for a 12 hour bath. I used Thomas labs I got on Amazon and used a 5G bucket.

OP
OP
Diesel48

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the input, unfortunately I think it is to late. Fish was looking pretty lethargic so I wanted to get it out of the copper. I put it in the sterile tank with no copper and it was way skinnier than I thought. I thought the fish was eating a bit in QT but it must have not been near enough. Pretty much gave it up within an hour or two. Pretty bummed out, started with QT'ing 3 cardinals and all three did not make it. Thought this was the strong one as it was active yesterday and at the very end of Copper, Metro and GC treatments. The little I did see them eat must not have been enough. Feels like a waste of life, money and time...I really thought I was doing everything perfectly, seeded the sponge from my tank for a month, ammonia was always 0, lots of aeration, copper was going well with the Hanna checker. Do must fish eat decent while in QT? I feel like that has to be what went wrong.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the input, unfortunately I think it is to late. Fish was looking pretty lethargic so I wanted to get it out of the copper. I put it in the sterile tank with no copper and it was way skinnier than I thought. I thought the fish was eating a bit in QT but it must have not been near enough. Pretty much gave it up within an hour or two. Pretty bummed out, started with QT'ing 3 cardinals and all three did not make it. Thought this was the strong one as it was active yesterday and at the very end of Copper, Metro and GC treatments. The little I did see them eat must not have been enough. Feels like a waste of life, money and time...I really thought I was doing everything perfectly, seeded the sponge from my tank for a month, ammonia was always 0, lots of aeration, copper was going well with the Hanna checker. Do must fish eat decent while in QT? I feel like that has to be what went wrong.

Some meds can suppress appetite but typically most fish eat well in QT. Did you treat for internal parasites?

OP
OP
Diesel48

Diesel48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the one thing I did not do. I never saw white stringy poop so I thought I was in the clear. If I saw it in the sterile tank I was going to feed them then. They never really ate that well if I look back on it. I did offer 3 different kinds of frozen foods, never ate enough to show it in their bellies.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the one thing I did not do. I never saw white stringy poop so I thought I was in the clear. If I saw it in the sterile tank I was going to feed them then. They never really ate that well if I look back on it. I did offer 3 different kinds of frozen foods, never ate enough to show it in their bellies.
I always start that with copper immediately just in case. Internal parasites can create a huge obstacle in getting fish through QT.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry for your losses :( Hopefully the next round will go a bit smoother for you.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back