15 Alk too high?

Willb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't see a problem adding them in next week or when the alkalinity is in range.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I wouldn't see a problem adding them in next week or when the alkalinity is in range.
Ok, I was going to order them for tuesday but I prob wont do that now. Unless the alkalinity is perfect tmrw

Willb25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I was going to order them for tuesday but I prob wont do that now. Unless the alkalinity is perfect tmrw
Yeah, don't rush putting things in your tank and don't try to dramatically change levels over night because you can kill fish and coral and just be wasting money

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yeah, don't rush putting things in your tank and don't try to dramatically change levels over night because you can kill fish and coral and just be wasting money
Yeah fs. I just checked again for the hell of it and it went up even more to 16. What could be causing this?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol relatable. So just to make sure, good alkalinity creates oxygen exchange so I dont need nor should point powerheads at surface?
What?

Surface agitation has nothing to do with alkalinity. Agitating the surface, less or more, will not effect alkalinity one bit. Will it effect PH, sure, but it will not effect alk one bit.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop testing for alk and calcium you should be checking your nitrogen cycle. Ammonia then nitrite then nitrate when ammonia hits 0 Do a 100% water change and none of the previous matters so long as it’s not your salt. Test your salt before adding it to the tank. Problem solved.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop testing for alk and calcium you should be checking your nitrogen cycle. Ammonia then nitrite then nitrate when ammonia hits 0 Do a 100% water change and none of the previous matters so long as it’s not your salt. Test your salt before adding it to the tank. Problem solved.
+1

I was going to post something similar, but felt the need to address the other glaring issue in this thread before someone else reads it, and decided it's good info.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long after mixing are you waiting before testing ?

high alk in a very new system is common .
let it run and cycle .
you will need some sort of ammonia source to get it started .
I wouldn’t worry too much about alkalinity or calcium at this point .

making sure the system can process ammonia is the first and most important step .
do not add any livestock until you are sure it’s cycled .
As the system matures it alkalinity and calcium will stabilize
In the mean time . I would calibrate your hydrometer to measure salinity accurately .

when mixing salt water add salt In measured amounts not to add too much salt .

the best advice : take your time !
nothing good happens fast

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol relatable. So just to make sure, good alkalinity creates oxygen exchange so I dont need nor should point powerheads at surface?
Yeah agitation on the surface is good! Wow your getting some off advice here, you have a testing error your salinity level is to low to get that high of alk with out either dosing something adding it or you testing wrong. It can't be 15dkh at 1.023sg no commercial salts mix to that.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back