150 gallon Aquarium how many fish at once

bddb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gallon. I am purchasing 10 fish from a person getting rid of their tank. Is this too many to put in at once??

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the fish, but probably yes, it's not a good idea. If they're all small gobies, it's fine as long as you feed the tank for a couple weeks beforehand and are prepared for some heavy WC. However, if any of them are > 2", that wouldn't work.

I'd recommend putting them in QT, and once QT is up, introducing them into the tank, 3 - 4 at a time, every 10 days. You might need a pretty significant QT system set up to do this, but it's really the only way to go about it. If they're already healthy you could just hold them in an observation tank instead of treating with medications for a month first, would make life easier.

coralnutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would really depend on several things. Can you share more details? How mature is your tank? What do you already have for livestock? What are the new fish you want to add? These details might help you get a better answer.

OP
OP
B

bddb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 years old tank with fish and corals.
Would really depend on several things. Can you share more details? How mature is your tank? What do you already have for livestock? What are the new fish you want to add? These details might help you get a better answer

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m am interested in this topic also, not ten or such but, could you start dosing ammonia throughout the day for a month leading up to the introduction of new fish? Next would be to figure out how to determine the amounts. I was dosing ammonia when I couldn’t detect nitrate. I’d have to check, but I think Randy suggested this. Wouldn’t this help fuel a larger bio to digest the increase in fish? I have a situation in my bigger tank that most wouldn’t believe (hitchhiking trigger) that needs to be rectified asap. Sorry for the hijack. But as I stated, I’m going to have to start loading some fish too.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adding new fish isn't going to exceed that kind of reef tank's surface area or biofiltration

it'll be a total disease bomb mix that you aren't applying qt or observation to the new crew, who were suited to their new system behaviorally and biologically. not a biofilter challenge. that isn't much of a load to a running reef tank.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back