150 gallon limit

chinta99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a 150 gallon aquarium set up and was curious to know if a powder blue and purple tang would be good long term in there ? Both would be starting out at around 3 inches .
Tank mates for now would be 2 ocellaris clownfish and 1 small fox face similar to them in size .
Also feel free to recommend any other fishes I could fit in with them , no eels please I had to return a snowflake who murdered my previous pair of clowns .

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a 150 gallon aquarium set up and was curious to know if a powder blue and purple tang would be good long term in there ? Both would be starting out at around 3 inches .
Tank mates for now would be 2 ocellaris clownfish and 1 small fox face similar to them in size .
Also feel free to recommend any other fishes I could fit in with them , no eels please I had to return a snowflake who murdered my previous pair of clowns .
it should be okay, the aqurium is of good size, keep an extra eye out for any battle wounds or skinnyness in the fish.

While sad, this is a lesson about getting a Moray (and fish in general) without doing research. Morays will eat anything that cannot fight back, and even then they can be agressive or worse in part depending on the species of eel

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chinta99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it should be okay, the aqurium is of good size, keep an extra eye out for any battle wounds or skinnyness in the fish.

While sad, this is a lesson about getting a Moray (and fish in general) without doing research. Morays will eat anything that cannot fight back, and even then they can be agressive or worse in part depending on the species of eel
Couldn’t have agreed with you more. I felt really bad about it . The snowflake fooled me into thinking he was a docile fish I fed him well everyday and he didn’t bother my lunare wrasse or lion fish , couple days after I added the clownfish .. disaster . Probably won’t get one again unless he’s by himself , I’m convinced that they are ticking time bombs and seeing how big they can get , I don’t think there are many fishes safe in the long run

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t have agreed with you more. I felt really bad about it . The snowflake fooled me into thinking he was a docile fish I fed him well everyday and he didn’t bother my lunare wrasse or lion fish , couple days after I added the clownfish .. disaster . Probably won’t get one again unless he’s by himself , I’m convinced that they are ticking time bombs and seeing how big they can get , I don’t think there are many fishes safe in the long run
They won't go after the lion, idk about wrasse. You are right about their dangers though, they need a big tank with agressive fish that can defend themselves, most Morays are nearly apex predators, and a few are apex predators, you can find videos of some species eating sharks

Upvote 0

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120gallon and my stock list is going on two years now. I recommend any of these as juvis. Then as they get too big, trade them out. I haven’t had that issue yet but maybe in another year I’ll get there. Especially with the Twinspot wrasse, he’s huge now.
Stocking list
-Powder Blue Tang
-Hippo Tang
-Yellow Tang
-Scopas Tang
-Tomini Tang
-Twinspot Wrasse
-Blunthead Wrasse
-Puddingwife Wrasse
-McCosker’s flasher Wrasse
-Harptail Blenny
-Canary Blenny
-Twinspot blenny
-Royal Gramma
-Mono
-Lyretail Anthias
-Blue Chromis
-Niger Trigger
-Pair of Ocellaris Clowns
-Lamarck Angel
-Swallowtail Angel
-Fire Shrimp
margarita,trochus,Nass,Cerith
-Pencil & Pincushion Urchin
09017654-60A6-406D-AD88-91B4277D5E50.jpeg

Upvote 0

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a zebra eel is harmless to fish. Only eats shrimp and crustaceans. Beautiful too. Here is some more information about them. And yeah you could keep them long term there. I'd recommend a marine betta, suburst anthias trio, maybe some garden eels (hard to care for though, but have a mouth too small for fish, only eat copepods and stuff), you could try a cowfish maybe but do research first, some puffers could be nice, or a trigger (rectangular is awesome), you could possibly try squirrelfish but clownfish might be on the menu eventually, and this would be awesome: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1635+1858&pcatid=1858

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a zebra eel is harmless to fish. Only eats shrimp and crustaceans. Beautiful too. Here is some more information about them. And yeah you could keep them long term there. I'd recommend a marine betta, suburst anthias trio, maybe some garden eels (hard to care for though, but have a mouth too small for fish, only eat copepods and stuff), you could try a cowfish maybe but do research first, some puffers could be nice, or a trigger (rectangular is awesome), you could possibly try squirrelfish but clownfish might be on the menu eventually, and this would be awesome: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1635+1858&pcatid=1858
I think OP meant morays

Upvote 0

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

zebra eels are harmless to fish which is pretty cool

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in that case a golden dwarf moray is a possiblilty. They wont kill the clowns unless the moray is full grown and the clowns are babies.
Eh, Golden Dwarf are kinda like some crabs in the will they wont they kill sense. Not worth the risk if you are not fond of morays (an experience like OPs doesn't exactly give them moray fever)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chinta99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have me interested in the zebra lol , eels were the reason i got into this hobby , but after my snowflake I didn’t think I’d be able to find something that wouldn’t eat my fish , I’m a huge fan of puffers just wasn’t sure what would be compatible with the 2 tangs and fox faces

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have me interested in the zebra lol , eels were the reason i got into this hobby , but after my snowflake I didn’t think I’d be able to find something that wouldn’t eat my fish , I’m a huge fan of puffers just wasn’t sure what would be compatible with the 2 tangs and fox faces
Puffers are macho and agro, some puffers could maybe be fine in certain eel tanks.

Id recommend garden eels, most other eels still have a risk of attacking things or tearing their faces off (both metaphorically and literally they are ambush predators after all), garden eels are super peaceful, they physically couldn't take bites off of other fish, id recommended looking into them

Upvote 0

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zebras are great, I really wanted one when I was planning a 125, but I ended up getting a 65 gallon so i cant get one :/

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back