150w Heater too strong for 30 gallon???

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok guys, i have a question for you. i recently bought a 150w visitherm stealth heater for my new finnex 30 gallon tank. when i got the heater it says it can heat up to 45 gallon tanks. is this heater going to be too powerful for my tank?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have it running on a controller it will be fine with it to set to shut off if a certain temp is reached. If not I would say use something smaller. If that one stuck on it would boil your tank.

120gallons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with something smaller. That big and something goes wrong and it gets stuck on and then you fry things quicker.

OP
OP
b0bby1

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does that happen often? i have a 100w i am using in my 20 gallon right now that hasn't crapped out on me yet, had it for over a year. it is constantly at 78 degrees. should i use that?

GeoB

The Water Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By using a controller, you would set your heater slightly higher than your desired temp (secondary thermostat), and use the controller(which has a probe in the tank) for your primary thermostat. When the temp comes up to your desired temp, it kills the power to the heater. If there's a problem with the controller and the heater stays on, you have a secondary 'stat in the heater which would shut off the heater a few degrees later, hopefully. Your probably better not to have a higher wattage heater in smaller tanks as there is little room for temp swings or problematic thermostats. IMO.

GeoB

The Water Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steady temp is easier maintained with larger water volumes. The smaller the tank, the harder it is to stabilize anything. Yes it will heat the tank. A higher wattage heater that can handle 45 gallons (in a 30 gal tank) has a greater chance of higher temp swings than a 100 watt in a 30, which has a greater chance than 2-75 watt heaters. Your lighting will also add heat which affects temp swings. If you have a sump, I would use 2-75watts, one set higher than the other. I had one of these get stuck on, my tank went up to 87 degrees before I caught it. I then invested into a controller, which also has an alarm. All of this is a matter of one's opinion, hopefully based on experience. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
b0bby1

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i might pick up a 100w, i don't think i have enough room for the 2 75w. now for controllers, i might be putting in an order on marinedepot soon, which is the best one?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the reefkeeper2. It can only do up to 10 devices while the ACjr can do 12 i think, but it's a world of difference in trying to program versus the AC. It's so easy and looks allot nicer IMO.

I know because I have owned 2 ACJR's in the past.

OP
OP
b0bby1

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought controllers control the heater only? can someone explain to me how they work? i have only been reef keeping for a year now.

GeoB

The Water Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the reefkeeper2. It can only do up to 10 devices while the ACjr can do 12 i think, but it's a world of difference in trying to program versus the AC. It's so easy and looks allot nicer IMO.

I agree. I have ACjr, and I'm progressing very slowly on programming. I still can't get this to run on my PC, which was a big part of choosing ACjr. It's to soon to dump out of it, I'm determined to learn!!

Controllers can control timeing of your lites, heaters, Ca reactors, feed pumps, etc.. by turning off/on switched outlets attached to the controller.

Last edited:

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controllers can control anything plugged into them. Mostly they're used as timers, but they can also turn on and off devices according to temperature (like heaters, chillers, fans), pH (like Ca reactors), ORP . . . just to name a few. Its like having a computer run your tank equipment.

OP
OP
b0bby1

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the thing is, i have my lights on appliance timers now so the only thing it would be controlling is the heater.

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a controller, you would take the lights off appliance timers and use the controller instead . . . ;)

Once you've used one, it would be hard to go back to reefing without a controller. One feature that I definitely use more than any other is being able to turn individual pieces of equipment off from the controler (especially handy with powerheads). But if you're happy with the way things are going, keep on chuggin' along.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back