15G Floating SPS System

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update!

This tank is chugging along, had a point where bryposis started to grow but my two mithrax crabs took care of it instantly. Now I’m just waiting around. I most likely will start with some easy sps soon and go from there but first I was to solve an issue I’m having. The water for some reason seems cloudy and it’s been cloudy for 2 weeks now. Any suggestions on what could be going on?
What do you use for filtration? I’ve found that a finer felt sock and chemipure helped clear my tank up. I also added microbacter 7 and wasn’t sure it was possible but it definitely helped make it even more clearer.

OP
OP
marcinpolak

marcinpolak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use for filtration? I’ve found that a finer felt sock and chemipure helped clear my tank up. I also added microbacter 7 and wasn’t sure it was possible but it definitely helped make it even more clearer.
For filtration I use a filer roller and a skimmer, I do use mb7 weekly along with genesis. I also threw in some carbon and hopefully that fixes it. Thank you!

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update!

This tank is chugging along, had a point where bryposis started to grow but my two mithrax crabs took care of it instantly. Now I’m just waiting around. I most likely will start with some easy sps soon and go from there but first I was to solve an issue I’m having. The water for some reason seems cloudy and it’s been cloudy for 2 weeks now. Any suggestions on what could be going on?
A UV would probably make quick work of the cloudy water. I don’t think this is any concern though, I experienced similar with a dry rock start. It’s likely something to do with bacteria colonizing/ settling in. Looks good! I’m excited to see this one coming along!

OP
OP
marcinpolak

marcinpolak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A UV would probably make quick work of the cloudy water. I don’t think this is any concern though, I experienced similar with a dry rock start. It’s likely something to do with bacteria colonizing/ settling in. Looks good! I’m excited to see this one coming along!
I do have a UV laying somewhere, but I did throw a bag of carbon in there and I could already tell the water is clearing up. I’m glad you’ll be following along!

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For filtration I use a filer roller and a skimmer, I do use mb7 weekly along with genesis. I also threw in some carbon and hopefully that fixes it. Thank you!
I used carbon too but it didn’t seem to work as well as the chemipure, I believe that has carbon pellets and a resin. It’s definitely worth the money, you only have to replace it once every 3 months or so depending on the bio load.

OP
OP
marcinpolak

marcinpolak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used carbon too but it didn’t seem to work as well as the chemipure, I believe that has carbon pellets and a resin. It’s definitely worth the money, you only have to replace it once every 3 months or so depending on the bio load.
I’ll look at it and most likely buy some just to have some just in case, right now my nutrients are very low so I’ll be somewhat cautious before adding it. Thank you!

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudy -The tank looks sterile. Are you adding any bacteria or anything to help the biome

are you doing water changes.?

sorry for some reason I didn’t see the other posts

OP
OP
marcinpolak

marcinpolak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudy -The tank looks sterile. Are you adding any bacteria or anything to help the biome

are you doing water changes.?

sorry for some reason I didn’t see the other posts
Hey,

I’ve been adding mb7 along with polyp lab genesis. In the sump I did add rock rumble from a 10 year old tank a decent amount of it as well.

I also have a auto watchanger that changes 2 percent of the water daily.

Filtration is a roller mat, protein skimmer (runs at night only) will carbon dose once nutrients start to get higher

Thank you in advance!

OP
OP
marcinpolak

marcinpolak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Threw in a UV for a week and everything cleared up and boy does the water look crystal clear! My first order was submitted with @Battlecorals so we should have some color soon!

Attachments

• 0911BE28-7C44-42DD-B315-1007BC49635A.jpeg
    0911BE28-7C44-42DD-B315-1007BC49635A.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
marcinpolak

marcinpolak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it begins, I received 17 frags from Battlecoral and 5 from a buddy of mine. Next thing you know this tank looks full of frags! Also the yellow candy hogfish is now a resident in this tank.

Attachments

• 417894EE-7DE3-4CD2-A03F-F6EFBBA15112.jpeg
    417894EE-7DE3-4CD2-A03F-F6EFBBA15112.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 55

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back