16" Shadow Overflow

Robbie Bott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got in my 16" shadow overflow, I have a 65mm hole saw already however the directions say to only use a 63mm hole saw. BRS tells me that a 65mm is good however in big red writing on the drilling template that came with the overflow its says use a 63mm bit ONLY!
So do I order a 63mm bit or use the 65mm bit I have? Anyone else use a 65mm with the shadow overflow?
I placed the 65mm over the threaded portion of the overflow and it is just slightly large than in, I'm guessing a 63mm will make the hole for fir exactly leaving no room for error for example if one hoe is slightly to the right or left and etc.

Anyone have any advice?
Synergy reef will be out until Dec 16 to Jan 2 for the holidays according to the email I received when I emailed them.

highlite2nice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I am a believer in doing things right the 1st time. I would get the correct size even though it's close I wouldn't take the chance.

Chezted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drilled mine with a 63mm, fits perfect. Why risk it?

OP
OP
Robbie Bott

Robbie Bott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drilled mine with a 63mm, fits perfect. Why risk it?
Did your template have this much "slack" around the fittings?

IMG_0482.JPG

Chezted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't really notice, and I already threw it out. Sorry I'm no help there.

OP
OP
Robbie Bott

Robbie Bott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the hole saw fit the template perfectly.
I ordered a 63mm bit and I'm gonna wait to drill it.
My template is so loose that if I take that 65 mm bit there's probably 2 or 3 mm worth of play either side of it so once that first hole is drilled if that second hole deviates anyway to the left or right the threaded nipples of the box won't fit that's my present concern. Tolerances being so tight I don't Magent they would want the template to hold a bit exactly where it needs to be and not leave any space or room for error.

OP
OP
Robbie Bott

Robbie Bott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a shot of a 65mm bit inside the template so a 63mm will have even more room for error.

IMG_0487.JPG

Chezted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume they are to fill the space between the tank and the bottom of the outside box. They would relieve any pressure on the bulkheads.

OP
OP
Robbie Bott

Robbie Bott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in between the support bar that is built onto the box and the bulkheads you mean?

Chezted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking lower down, along the bottom. Two, one on the tank, one on the box seems to fill the space perfectly. But you have me thinking I will wait to speak with Synergy.LOL

Cully

Big Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my Shadow as well. Being I'm rebuilding from a tank failure, I'd like to do things by the book. I emailed them about the spacers you're describing. There is no CS phone# I could find.

They are apparently closed for "the holidays" which spans 3 weeks. I'm not too confidence inspired. They closed shortly after sending out awaited, pre-ordered products, that come with extra pieces parts that don't appear on their instructions.

They caution us about not over tightening bulkhead locking nuts which I get. But I think they could explain how the support bars across the upper corners and across the bottom of the external box should look, or tell us what the spacers are definitively for. Empty there's a gap. I'd expect this goes away or decreases when running? Or should the BH lockers be so tight that the gap goes away?

Like I said, im a little gun shy to stray from any specific manufacturers instructions as I'm rebuilding after a major product failure and tank crash. Im going by the book to eliminate speculation should there be an issue down the road.

Hoping they check in prior to January 2nd like their email response implied. I'm in a holding pattern otherwise.

Anyone else know the purpose of these potential keystone pieces?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Cully

Big Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't look like the piece he uses and they appear to have an adhesive backing. I'll snap a pic...

Cully

Big Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backing is not adhesive now that I checked. Maybe they are just extra cuttings to use as "keys"

[/URL]

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

Yes we were closed for the holidays. We tried to answer as many emails as we could but due to limited internet connections we had to wait until we returned. Here are some of your answers.

This is a shot of a 65mm bit inside the template so a 63mm will have even more room for error.

IMG_0487.JPG

That template looks like the holes are too big on it. If you need a new one just let us know. It should fit a 63 or 65mm bit almost perfectly. Here is a 63mm bit inside the hole, should look like this one.
Hyd0k0cl.jpg

I assume they are to fill the space between the tank and the bottom of the outside box. They would relieve any pressure on the bulkheads.

You are overthinking these :) They are pieces we include to pop off the weir if you cannot get it off with your fingers. Here is a video of how it works. You DO NOT need any spacers in between the overflow and tank.

I just got my Shadow as well. Being I'm rebuilding from a tank failure, I'd like to do things by the book. I emailed them about the spacers you're describing. There is no CS phone# I could find.

They are apparently closed for "the holidays" which spans 3 weeks. I'm not too confidence inspired. They closed shortly after sending out awaited, pre-ordered products, that come with extra pieces parts that don't appear on their instructions.

They caution us about not over tightening bulkhead locking nuts which I get. But I think they could explain how the support bars across the upper corners and across the bottom of the external box should look, or tell us what the spacers are definitively for. Empty there's a gap. I'd expect this goes away or decreases when running? Or should the BH lockers be so tight that the gap goes away?

Like I said, im a little gun shy to stray from any specific manufacturers instructions as I'm rebuilding after a major product failure and tank crash. Im going by the book to eliminate speculation should there be an issue down the road.

Hoping they check in prior to January 2nd like their email response implied. I'm in a holding pattern otherwise.

Anyone else know the purpose of these potential keystone pieces?

Thanks!

They are not spacers. If they were we would have made certain to put that in the instructions.

The keystones are pieces we include to pop off the weir if you cannot get it off with your fingers. Here is a video of how it works. You DO NOT need any spacers in between the overflow and tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back