17 hrs shipped fish acclimation

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fairly new to the hobby just 7 months into hobby. Till now I was getting fishes from lfs, but this time I’ve ordered fish outside of my state and they’ll be shipped to me in 17+hrs.
Do I need to take some special steps to acclimate them, because of the shipping time. When I buy from lfs the fishes don’t get shipped a lot as it’s close to my house so the acclimation is easy and normal.
But do I’ve to take acclimate them differently or just normal drip acclimate?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first float the bag to aclimate too temp ... then I would check salinity of water fish was sent in then drip aclimate for salinity.. if your qt ing your fish you can always adjust the salinity of your qt tank too match that of the water the fish was sent in and drop him in straight away and then bring the salinity of tank up slowly ...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally get a bucket of your tank water and have freshwater on hand to drop the salinity if needed to match the salinity in the bag.

During shipping ammonia in the bag rises. However because the respirated VO2 cannot escape the ph of the water begins to drop. This renders the ammonia non-toxic. But once you open the bag the CO2 escapes, ph rises, and ammonia becomes toxic. So a long acclimation with bag water is dangerous.

That it is why it is beneficial to match the water separately, get the fish out of the transport, and acclimate without the transport water.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the bag to see if the fish is in distress, if not then see if your able to float the bag in your sump or display tank for 15 mins to acclimate the temperature.
Next, open the bag and check the salinity, if it's within .004 of your tank then do a moderate fast drip for 20 minutes, at least doubling the water volume in the acclimation vessel.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally get a bucket of your tank water and have freshwater on hand to drop the salinity if needed to match the salinity in the bag.

During shipping ammonia in the bag rises. However because the respirated VO2 cannot escape the ph of the water begins to drop. This renders the ammonia non-toxic. But once you open the bag the CO2 escapes, ph rises, and ammonia becomes toxic. So a long acclimation with bag water is dangerous.

That it is why it is beneficial to match the water separately, get the fish out of the transport, and acclimate without the transport water.

Sorry to bareg in, but I will be doing this for the first time soon

If you match temp and salinity with your tank water and not the bag water and then immediately put him in the tank water filled container, any acclimation beyond that would be void, correct?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite because as eatbreakfast alluded to, you might be matching salinity way below your display parameters, hence the RO/DI water to adjust.
You would still need to acclimate if the salinity is a great difference.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday, I purchased 2 fish from an LFS that kept their salinity at 1.015. My display is at 1.026.
Ideally you would have a QT tank set at the store level and adjust .004 points daily before getting the fish into the display but not everyone has the patience or drive to do this. I am one of those persons, I drip acclimated for 4.5 hours last night in a 5g bucket and an air stone.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite because as eatbreakfast alluded to, you might be matching salinity way below your display parameters, hence the RO/DI water to adjust.
You would still need to acclimate if the salinity is a great difference.

OK, got it. Thanks!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what I do and and have never had an issue.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most vendors will also answer if you ask before shipment what the parameters of their tanks are at.
This way can setup a qt to these parameters before arrival. Then over the course of time can bring that tank to the DT they are destined to be in. Will still need to acclimate to temperature and would test the shipment water to be sure it matches what they previously stated.

Even if not going to qt can use this as an acclimation tank. Where the corrective wc are nutrient control.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Normally what I do is pour the bag water in a container and drip acclimate them with the tank water.
But what I understand that you’re saying that in a long journey like this i shouldn’t use bag water at all? Should I acclimate it to the temp of tank water then make a separate bucket of with tank water matching bag water parameters and directly float put fish in that bucket and then acclimate, to tank water?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what I understand that you’re saying that in a long journey like this i shouldn’t use bag water at all?
Correct, don't use any bag water.
Should I acclimate it to the temp of tank water then make a separate bucket of with tank water matching bag water parameters and directly float put fish in that bucket and then acclimate, to tank water?
Exactly.

Toofattofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday, I purchased 2 fish from an LFS that kept their salinity at 1.015. My display is at 1.026.
Ideally you would have a QT tank set at the store level and adjust .004 points daily before getting the fish into the display but not everyone has the patience or drive to do this. I am one of those persons, I drip acclimated for 4.5 hours last night in a 5g bucket and an air stone.
.004 per day might be on the high side. Might as well do .001 since if you're going to qt you have plenty of time to slowly adjust.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally .002 in the AM & .002 in the PM for a total of .004 in a 24 hour period has worked well for me, but yes if you have them in a QT, what Toofattofish said.

Back