170 gallon tang recommendation

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was interested in adding a third tang to the family. Tank is 170 gallons, 60" L x 30" W. The fish could potentially go in by itself and get established and make sure it's healthy before moving over a yellow and purple.

Was looking into reasonable additions, or maybe no more tangs if you wouldn't add more?

Really like blonde naso and hippo. I understand naso might be out of the question as they're huge and the hippos seem to be very prone to illness? What about a white tail bristle or convict tang? Any others that might be a good option?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was interested in adding a third tang to the family. Tank is 170 gallons, 60" L x 30" W. The fish could potentially go in by itself and get established and make sure it's healthy before moving over a yellow and purple.

Was looking into reasonable additions, or maybe no more tangs if you wouldn't add more?

Really like blonde naso and hippo. I understand naso might be out of the question as they're huge and the hippos seem to be very prone to illness? What about a white tail bristle or convict tang? Any others that might be a good option?
I would personally stick to 3 tangs in this tank size and the last tang would be;
Ctenochaetus binotatus or Ctenochaetus flavicauda.

The other large tangs don’t really appeal to me, the only other that does appeal to me would be an Achilles Tang however you already have two tangs that will get into a range of medium-large and active.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs like long dimensions to RUN in. I have a 72 wide 36 deep 27 height tank. My kole tang (Ctenochaetus) was good in it and my yellow tang (Zebrasoma) did great. I added a powder brown tank (acantherus) and the run length was not enough for him and he would tear back and forth and get kind of aggressive.

Even though my tank was ample for the kole and yellow tang, both fish happily used every inch of the tank.

So I would think that Ctenochaetus tangs would work best. So if you want 2 tangs of them, put them in together and maybe one zebrasoma tang.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 60” x 30” I would do a Zebrasoma (not the Sailfins) and a Ctenochaetus. If you want an Acanthurus, IMO a Mimic might be the best choice (?) but I’m not as familiar with Acanthurus. Blue Tangs IMO are a fish that some people have said theirs didn’t get all that big (6-8”) even after many years, but many have also had theirs get to like 8-9” and considering their behavior really do best in 6’+ tanks, 7-8’ even better.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back