Adding hippo tang to established tank mates?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to put a PVC section in the box as a hiding place (I’m going to use a fish trap that’s 6”x6”x8” as acclimation box). Notice neither of you have any hiding places. I’ve never used this method before (acclimation box), is it a “bad” idea to give the hiding place and instead force the new kid to stand up at the front of the class?
I don’t think it bad, and I’ve thought about it before. But this does force the new fish to be visible to all. The hippo was 98% hiding while in quarantine. Very shy. At least now it does not lay down when I approach the tank anymore.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I released the hippo this evening from the acclimation box. The purple tang went right after it, but that little guy held his own like he didn’t care. They have already chilled out a lot. I can definitely see why some people say the hippo runs their tank! No fear.
IMG_1221.jpeg

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I released the hippo this evening from the acclimation box. The purple tang went right after it, but that little guy held his own like he didn’t care. They have already chilled out a lot. I can definitely see why some people say the hippo runs their tank! No fear.
IMG_1221.jpeg
Yay!!

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They ran him off to the top corner of the tank as lights went out so he slept there. Figure that may last for several days. We will see as they all get used to each other.
I had the same issue when I added the pyramid butterfly trio with male Bimac. Ended up trapping him and selling him after a couple days (too stressful for me haha). Now one of the females has transitioned to male so I'm wondering if I'll have the same issue. I ordered another acclimation box from Octo aquatics so I'll have some options.....

dollisamacon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! This thread was much needed. I'm trying to add a hippo tang to my tank. I've added one 3 times and all have died within a few days. Are they usually aggressive or shy? Does it depend on the fish?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! This thread was much needed. I'm trying to add a hippo tang to my tank. I've added one 3 times and all have died within a few days. Are they usually aggressive or shy? Does it depend on the fish?
I hear most people say they end up as boss of the tank. I wouldn’t call mine shy to the fish… but definitely to people at first. What fish are already in the tank your trying to add a hippo to? My purple tang is definitely boss right now and let’s all newcomers know it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Having one and selling many, these guys generally acclimate and adapt well. Main complaint is their aggression during feeding trying to steal all the food

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back