175 bow Mixed reef , Nirate 145ppm phos .03

BurritoBrownie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a oceanic 175 bowfront that has been up for 2 months with LR from my old tank. It has a sapphire 39 sump , vectra m2 pump running full speed , reef octo 202s skimmer set to dry skim , brs carbon reactor w brs rox carbon , around 175 lbs LR , bare bottom , fuge has LR and chaeto in it , 4k gyre on one end running 100%. Probably overstocked: 7" orang shoulder , 6" blonde naso , 5" blue hippo , 4" tomini , 4" powder brown , blue spot puffer , coral beauty , 2 ocellaris clowns , 5 green chromis , boxer shrimp. Using reef crystals salt , 4ml of tropic marin np bacto balance and 8ml tropic marin k elements daily. I do 40 gal water change every weekend with rodi water at 0 tds. Using brs felt filter socks and changing all 3 out 2x a week. Feed rods frozen , mysis , prime reef flakes , and sushi nori roasted seaweed unseasoned. Nori daily about 1/2 to 1 full sheet , all others 4 to 5 times a week. Was using brs high capacity gfo in a reactor and stopped using it 2 weeks ago due to 0 phos and trying to get a handle on the nitrates. Fish all seem healthy , normal amount of activity. Corals are all thriving/growing. I am setting up a biopellet reactor tomorrow. Hanna hr nitrate tested 75 then dumped half the test water and added back to line with tank water and tested 70 is how I came up with 145 nitrate reading. Hanna phos tested 0.03. Nitrates have been creeping up from around 40 at initial setup. I have read and researched until my eyes hurt to try and get a handle on it. Sorry for the novel but I wanted to include all the info I thought relevant to the issue. I appreciate any advice or recommendations!!!

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bio pellet system your setting up should help to bring them down . Could you be overfeeding ? And maybe use a different tester for nitrates to make sure your numbers are right . I’m not familiar with the Hanna nitrate tester for nitrates

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biopellets should help but it takes time. It can be 4 - 8 weeks before bacteria populates on the pellets to make a difference.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back