18 maxima clams in my tank

Miami Reef

Reef Chem Enthusiast
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2017
Messages
17,255
Reaction score
29,666
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m obsessed with Tridacna clams, specifically T. Maxima clams.

I currently have 18 in my tank. I love each and every one.

IMG_7457.jpeg
p1.jpeg
p2.jpeg
IMG_7472.jpeg
p1.jpeg
 
I’m obsessed with Tridacna clams, specifically T. Maxima clams.

I currently have 18 in my tank. I love each and every one.

IMG_7457.jpeg
p1.jpeg
p2.jpeg
IMG_7472.jpeg
p1.jpeg
Those are some nice looking clams!
 
The one in the 5th pic on the right is insane! Nice! What's your light intensity and photo period? What lights?
I’m using 100% T5 lighting. I’m using 2 of the 8 bulb 54watt Sun Power fixtures.

5 blue plus
3 coral plus
per fixture

8 hours full intensity per day. If I have guests over, I’ll have 2 bulbs on each fixture on for 12 hours.
 
Thats crazy! Looks awesome. I've never had a clam but would like to get one at some point...now I know who to reach out to..lol. well done!
 
I am so jealousy. What are your parameters? Clam are doing well in my tank.
Currently:

Alk 9dKH
PO4: 0.06ppm
NO3: 6.9ppm
pH 8.2-8.4
 
Currently:

Alk 9dKH
PO4: 0.06ppm
NO3: 6.9ppm
pH 8.2-8.4
i’m shocked to see these numbers! i have a difficult time managing my parameters with just a crocea and maxima in my 40b! i’m sure you’re on a controller, right? :face-with-raised-eyebrow:
 
i’m shocked to see these numbers! i have a difficult time managing my parameters with just a crocea and maxima in my 40b! i’m sure you’re on a controller, right? :face-with-raised-eyebrow:
What’s shocking about the numbers? :)

I use Apex for my controller. For alkalinity, I dose sodium hydroxide. It’s my favorite alkalinity supplement.
 
i’m shocked to see these numbers! i have a difficult time managing my parameters with just a crocea and maxima in my 40b! i’m sure you’re on a controller, right? :face-with-raised-eyebrow:
The numbers aren't the thing to focus on, it's keeping them stable and providing enough light. My clams are doing just fine with much higher PO4, etc.
 
What’s shocking about the numbers? :)

I use Apex for my controller. For alkalinity, I dose sodium hydroxide. It’s my favorite alkalinity supplement.

The numbers aren't the thing to focus on, it's keeping them stable and providing enough light. My clams are doing just fine with much higher PO4, etc.


i meant i was shocked at their numbers because clams, or at least healthy growing ones suck up nutrients as well as your elements. i manually dose so of course my issue is multipled due to this, which is why i asked if he ran a controller

my clams are healthy too, i just hoped to not be the only guy still manually dosing with multiple clams, haha
 
Are they all maxima? One looks like a crocea. Also I've heard as filter feeders they polish the water. I have one crocea in my 32 I've had for a year and it is thriving. My nitrates run 16-20 and phos at .14.
 
i meant i was shocked at their numbers because clams, or at least healthy growing ones suck up nutrients as well as your elements. i manually dose so of course my issue is multipled due to this, which is why i asked if he ran a controller
I have the opposite problem. I need to prevent my nutrients from going too high. I use vinegar to keep my nitrates in check, but nitrates always want to climb in my tank. I feed my tank frozen food once or twice a day. I have a good fish population in my 260 gallon display.
 
I have the opposite problem. I need to prevent my nutrients from going too high. I use vinegar to keep my nitrates in check, but nitrates always want to climb in my tank. I feed my tank frozen food once or twice a day. I have a good fish population in my 260 gallon display.
sheesh. i’d love to trade! i have to dose no3/po4 daily. i had my skimmer offline for about a year and still had to dose!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new