180 New Build Stock List

Tophers_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About Me: New Reefer here, I have read a lot of books, watched a lot of youtube and with all this quarantine time I think I have finally come up with my dream stock list. Please realize that these will be gradually introduction of fish I am not going to put all the fish in day 1. I plan on doing a fish-less cycle, just because I think that's more ethically sound. This will just be my Fish list. Plan on having a refugium for growing copepods, as well as an oversized skimmer for as you will see I love tangs and know they create a lot of waste, I also plan on making my own food so a larger skimmer is a must. I have a few questions I will post at the end just things I am not sure of. This list will take place 6 months to a few years, money and avalibility pending. All the fish will be juveniles in a perfect world. As you will see I am trying to tick as many boxes of aquarium fish for a real life reef feel and increase biodiversity. Id prefer not to order fish online, but if I have to I think I will use Reef4less and then do my own quarantine.

1st : Banned Cardinals (4)
2nd: Mocha Ocellaris Clown fish (2)
3rd: Midas Blenny Golden, Royal Gramma,Fire fish
4th: Foxface, Shrimp Goby (yellow watchman), Cleaner Wrasse
5th: Longnose hawk fish, Flame hawk Fish
6th: Coral Beauty, Ruby Read Dragonet
7th: Ornate leopard wrasse, Earmuff wrasse, Naoko wrasse, Red Head Solon wrasse
8th: Fat head Anthias
9th: Pyramid butterfly (3)
10th: Be kind Tang Police!! Yellow tang, Purple tang, Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang (All the tangs will juveniles and be quarantined in adjacent tanks so they can get use to seeing one another, and they will be placed into the Display tank at night time)
11th: Blue Throated Trigger, Green mandarin goby

Please feel free to make suggestions as to introduction order!!
1. Can I add in a Naso Tang, or am I tanged out?
2. Thoughts on a larger angel being added, something from the family Genicanthus as they are the most reef safe.
3. When is the best time to add a clean-up crew? I'm thinking, Banded Trochus Snails, Super Tongan Nassarius Snails, Blue tuxedo urchin, cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp for the goby.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
75 will work lil shorter if using tank,

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be okay to add all fish at the same time, as long as you don't have any other livestock (corals). Anyone?

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be okay to add all fish at the same time, as long as you don't have any other livestock (corals). Anyone?

I would not add them all at the same time. Need to ensure the new aquarium handles the bio load. I would also stay away from the Naso, they ideally need more space to swim. CUC should be added after there is a food source for them.

Luis1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a koi tang, blonde naso, gen tang and hippo tang. Mirror trick works wonders if you see any aggression.

Luis1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the fish. I’ve heard of people doing it up to a month. What I do is put a full size standing mirror rapped to the tank for at least a few days. Then remove and monitor for aggression. If aggrwsuon continues add again. Month is overkill imo

Luis1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture for reference

9B55B42A-2A13-4BFB-904F-716A443D0985.jpeg

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I'd started w a large tank, so jelly. I'd recommend a brittle or serpent star fish as part of CUC, they are very cool.
Tangs should be fine as long as they are added at same time and well fed to reduce aggression. Also, FYI - Tangs should be the last addition or else they can/will bully any new comers after establishing their territory esp the Powder Blue which is the most aggressive Tang. Here's a good thread about Tangs

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back