180g starting to cycle, moving sump to basement.

smithben1983

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am just starting my first reef/saltwater tank its a 180g with a 33g long sump under the stand.
IMG_20120303_154859.jpg

IMG_20120303_154845.jpg

IMG_20120303_154836.jpg

I have a center return on it. Right now I am haveing a huge issue cause I used some Harveys plumbers putty and is making tons of micro bubbles and skimmer go crazy. really sucks. So if anyone has any tips for helping that situation please let me know.

The main reason I am posting is cause I made a trade with a buddy and got a 125g tank from him. I am planning to use it as a sump in the basement and convert my DT to a herbie overflow/s. questions are!
1. I have been doing tons of reading and can't find out how to run a herbie with dual overflows, some say run them separate to the sump others say run to a tee than to the sump.
2. should I use all hard PvC to get it to the basement and back, what are the options here? Also have researched this alot and see people using spaflex stuff. thoughts?
3. The 125g sump I have is drilled in both bottom corners and I have a LG md5 pump that I think I will be using so how should I set the pump and sump up?
4. the sump its self, I have been looking into many options for the sump sections and there are just so many choices. I want a spot for heaters skimmer and return but than I was going to do something like a deep sand bed/ fuge. but maybe I should just do a deep sand bed with some more live rock or just live rock or the duplex sump set up. there are so so many choices. I am looking to have a mixed reef and want to try to make the maintenance the easiest I can on the thing.
5. I was just looking over at the tank well typing this and saw these. ah they are to small to get a pic. looks like little green algae things hanging off my glass. any ideas?

Well thanks for reading this and I think this is a good start for getting some help. Can't wait to get going with my setup!

IBEW41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the green things are algae are you just cycling the tank and use tap water?imo dont use a deep sand bed in the sump

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back