180gal - DIY Sump

Mbartoloni7

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 17, 2020
Messages
12
Reaction score
4
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am redoing the sump for my Aqueon 180 gallon tank. My plan is for it to be fish only, but may eventually convert it to a reef tank. I used one of the fiji baffle kits to create a sump out of a 20gal long for my 65gal reef, so I was thinking of doing the same for my 180gal. Should I use a 40 breeder or 60 breeder. I like the extra water volume of the 60 breeder, but I am thinking the center brace will limit my skimmer options. I’d appreciate any input from any using a 40 breeder or 60 breeder as a sump.

Thank you
 
Hi All,

I am redoing the sump for my Aqueon 180 gallon tank. My plan is for it to be fish only, but may eventually convert it to a reef tank. I used one of the fiji baffle kits to create a sump out of a 20gal long for my 65gal reef, so I was thinking of doing the same for my 180gal. Should I use a 40 breeder or 60 breeder. I like the extra water volume of the 60 breeder, but I am thinking the center brace will limit my skimmer options. I’d appreciate any input from any using a 40 breeder or 60 breeder as a sump.

Thank you
Being that it’s a sump it’s only half filled most of the time.. you could remove the brace in a 60 if there’s glass baffles silicones in and it’s plenty of support.
 
Being that it’s a sump it’s only half filled most of the time.. you could remove the brace in a 60 if there’s glass baffles silicones in and it’s plenty of support.
Thank you for the input. I ultimately went with the 40 breeder. I was nervous about reducing the structural integrity by removing the center brace.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new