180gal Starphire New Reef Build - Work In Progress

Dr.HarlemTutu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's some nice corals you have got. Wish I could have them. Never had success with sps with my nano not enough alk and ca I guess.

Larger volumes of water are much more stable, which leads to success. Properly tuned reactor is important if not a must on larger tanks like yours.

By the way. The horizontal runs on your bean animal will be fine. I have 20ish feet of horizontal run on mine, I'm using spa flex but don't think elbows hurt you all that much in that application either. Build looks good!

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr.HarlemTutu , I think your plumbing looks great I love the sump cleaning pipe! Wonderful idea!!! Only thing I would suggest is add more unions , you could never go wrong with more unions , other then that it all looks good !!

OP
OP
D

dima

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally plumbing for tank is done. Still working on plumbing to deliver water after that can do leak test. I used silicone on all the bulkheads. Replaced main valves with gate valves. Hopefully it will all work out.
ae908a00b2136a8c99963ec569b19b43.jpg
c8e54b077d81a91128bc97b7f75a351b.jpg
2c67e24dd1f5bdc896eea801626059e0.jpg
4770127a2fed7e7679989aad2b5c8b99.jpg

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working on plumbing to deliver water after that can do leak test. I used silicone on all the bulkheads.
Nice tank! Interesting way to have gotten the tank on the stand. Following along...

I did want to mention that it is not really a good idea to use silicone on bulkheads. It might be leak free now, but could become problematic in the future. Clean rubber gasket against clean glass is all that is necessary for a good seal.

OP
OP
D

dima

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Interesting way to have gotten the tank on the stand. Following along...

I did want to mention that it is not really a good idea to use silicone on bulkheads. It might be leak free now, but could become problematic in the future. Clean rubber gasket against clean glass is all that is necessary for a good seal.
Thank you. What kind of problem can get into?

OP
OP
D

dima

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone does not bond permanently to the gasket material or the PVC.
But i have also tighten bulkheads thought silicone would give it an extra strength

OP
OP
D

dima

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm should I redo my bulkheads without silicone ?what do u guys suggest ?

Dr.HarlemTutu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm should I redo my bulkheads without silicone ?what do u guys suggest ?

The bulkheads are designed to work without silicone. Did you put the silicone on the glass then the bulkhead or just around the edge. If it's between the bulkhead and glass I'd remove, clean with a raiser blade and replace.

OP
OP
D

dima

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bulkheads are designed to work without silicone. Did you put the silicone on the glass then the bulkhead or just around the edge. If it's between the bulkhead and glass I'd remove, clean with a raiser blade and replace.

yes it is in both places.

OP
OP
D

dima

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. I removed the first bulkhead and silicone gets off easily. Can i use the same bulkhead or better order a new one?

Dr.HarlemTutu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. I removed the first bulkhead and silicone gets off easily. Can i use the same bulkhead or better order a new one?

I'd imaging the original one would be fine. Do you have the rubber piece?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can reuse the bulkheads, just clean the gasket and the glass really well. I would carefully use a new, sharp razor blade on the glass to remove the old silicone.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back