• Royal Gramma
• Green Chromis

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a serious list! Will this be a fish only or a reef tank?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
x1 Spotbreast Angelfish- Great.

x1 Coral Beauty Angelfish- Great.

x1 Flame Angelfish- Not sure how well two Centropyges work together. A bit of a toss up but I’ll let others chime in. Maybe consider a Yellow Pyramid or Zoster Butterflyfish or a Schooling Bannerfish if you can find one.

x1 Clownfish- Pair the Ocellaris.

x1 Green / Psychedelic Mandarin- Get Captive Bred ORA if possible. If not make sure tank is at least a year old preferably with a refugium for pods.

x1 Diamond Watchman Goby- OK, but again make sure you have a mature sand bed. These often don’t take prepared foods and starve.

x1 Yellow Watchman Goby- Pair it with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp.

x1 Firefish Goby- Make sure you have a tight lid and add it before any more aggressive fish. IMO Purple and Helfrichi and Magnificent > Red.

x3 Gobiodon sp.- A large tank could give them the space to separate. Best to observe at LFS and make sure they’re taking at least frozen fare. Many arrive emaciated and may not eat.

x1 Blonde Naso Tang- I wouldn’t put a fully grown one in anything shorter than a 10’ tank.

x1 Regal Blue Tang- I wouldn’t put a fully grown one in anything shorter than a 7’ tank.

x1 Sailfin Tang- See comments on Naso.

x1 Powder Blue Tang- Not the easiest fish to keep. Very prone to disease even among Tangs. If you’re insistent on getting one please consult the experts here on the best possible QT procedures.

x1 Royal Gramma- Great. Lots of color packed into a small fish. Not very active but beautiful and can swim upside down.

Green Chromis- OK but how many? They can be prone to uronema and can pick each other off in groups.

Too many bottom dwellers, and some of your stocking options aren’t suitable for what I assume is a 6’ tank IMO long term.

OP
OP
ndkoers

ndkoers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a serious list! Will this be a fish only or a reef tank?
Reef Tank. Mix of SPS and LPS mostly
Reef Tank. Mix of SPS and LPS mostly
x1 Spotbreast Angelfish- Great.

x1 Coral Beauty Angelfish- Great.

x1 Flame Angelfish- Not sure how well two Centropyges work together. A bit of a toss up but I’ll let others chime in. Maybe consider a Yellow Pyramid or Zoster Butterflyfish or a Schooling Bannerfish if you can find one.

x1 Clownfish- Pair the Ocellaris.

x1 Green / Psychedelic Mandarin- Get Captive Bred ORA if possible. If not make sure tank is at least a year old preferably with a refugium for pods.

x1 Diamond Watchman Goby- OK, but again make sure you have a mature sand bed. These often don’t take prepared foods and starve.

x1 Yellow Watchman Goby- Pair it with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp.

x1 Firefish Goby- Make sure you have a tight lid and add it before any more aggressive fish. IMO Purple and Helfrichi and Magnificent > Red.

x3 Gobiodon sp.- A large tank could give them the space to separate. Best to observe at LFS and make sure they’re taking at least frozen fare. Many arrive emaciated and may not eat.

x1 Blonde Naso Tang- I wouldn’t put a fully grown one in anything shorter than a 10’ tank.

x1 Regal Blue Tang- I wouldn’t put a fully grown one in anything shorter than a 7’ tank.

x1 Sailfin Tang- See comments on Naso.

x1 Powder Blue Tang- Not the easiest fish to keep. Very prone to disease even among Tangs. If you’re insistent on getting one please consult the experts here on the best possible QT procedures.

x1 Royal Gramma- Great. Lots of color packed into a small fish. Not very active but beautiful and can swim upside down.

Green Chromis- OK but how many? They can be prone to uronema and can pick each other off in groups.

Too many bottom dwellers, and some of your stocking options aren’t suitable for what I assume is a 6’ tank IMO long term.
I have made some changes based on your advice and size of tank. Let me know what you think of the below. All will be introduced based on aggression and maturity of the tank and the CUC can be expanded as need.

FISH
• Blue/Green Chromis x6
• Black & White Ocellaris x2 (Paired)
• Firefish x1
• Exquisite Fairy Wrasse x4
• Royal Flasher Wrasse x4
• Powder Blue Tang x1
• Yellow Tang x1
• Blue Dot Jawfish x1
• Yellow Watchman Goby x1
• Diamond Watchman Goby x1
• Green Mandarin x1
• Segmented Sailfin Blenny x1
• Royal Gramma x1
• Coral Beauty Angelfish x1
• Spotbreast Angelfish x1
CUC
• Dwarf Blue Leg Crab x3
• Emerald Crab x2
• Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab x3
• Astraea Turbo Snail x3
• Banded Trochus Snail x3
• Nassarius Snail x3
• Tiger Snapping Shrimp x3
• Scarlet Shunk Cleaner Shrimp x2

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish:
x6 Blue-Green Chromis: Some say they do better in a group of at least six. I am not sure, but worth a try.

x2 Black and White Ocellaris Clowns- Great. Love the Darwin variety.

x1 Red Firefish- Good. Add very early on.

x4 Exquisite Fairy Wrasse- I assume you intend to keep a harem? Not sure how it works so please ask.

x4 Royal Flasher Wrasse- Again I think they have a haremic living condition like the Fairy Wrasses but as for making it work, please ask.

x1 Powder Blue Tang- Nice looking fish, treat and quarantine very carefully for ich and velvet.

x1 Yellow Tang- Great.

x1 Blue Dot Jawfish- It’s a cooler water fish that will not thrive in a tropical reef tank. I would suggest looking into a Pearly or another tropical species of Jawfish.

x1 Yellow Watchman Goby- Great.

x1 Diamond Watchman Goby- Again, do not add before you have a mature tank. I’d give it 6-8 months, preferably a year.

x1 Green Mandarin Goby- Again, make sure you can keep up with its need for pods. I would suggest refugium if possible and give your tank about a year to mature.

x1 Segmented Sailfin Blenny- Can you find the Latin name for this one?

x1 Royal Gramma- Great.

x1 Coral Beauty Angelfish- Great. The Flame could work also but it’s a personal choice really.

x1 Spotbreast Angelfish- Great. Beautiful fish.

For wrasses, consult @evolved. He’s the expert.

Inverts:

Looks good for the most part, though do keep in mind hermit crabs kill snails for their shells. I am curious a second to why you want 3 Tiger Pistols. I have heard of a pair sharing a shrimp goby, but not sure how 3 would work.

OP
OP
ndkoers

ndkoers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish:
x6 Blue-Green Chromis: Some say they do better in a group of at least six. I am not sure, but worth a try.

x2 Black and White Ocellaris Clowns- Great. Love the Darwin variety.

x1 Red Firefish- Good. Add very early on.

x4 Exquisite Fairy Wrasse- I assume you intend to keep a harem? Not sure how it works so please ask.

x4 Royal Flasher Wrasse- Again I think they have a haremic living condition like the Fairy Wrasses but as for making it work, please ask.

x1 Powder Blue Tang- Nice looking fish, treat and quarantine very carefully for ich and velvet.

x1 Yellow Tang- Great.

x1 Blue Dot Jawfish- It’s a cooler water fish that will not thrive in a tropical reef tank. I would suggest looking into a Pearly or another tropical species of Jawfish.

x1 Yellow Watchman Goby- Great.

x1 Diamond Watchman Goby- Again, do not add before you have a mature tank. I’d give it 6-8 months, preferably a year.

x1 Green Mandarin Goby- Again, make sure you can keep up with its need for pods. I would suggest refugium if possible and give your tank about a year to mature.

x1 Segmented Sailfin Blenny- Can you find the Latin name for this one?

x1 Royal Gramma- Great.

x1 Coral Beauty Angelfish- Great. The Flame could work also but it’s a personal choice really.

x1 Spotbreast Angelfish- Great. Beautiful fish.

For wrasses, consult @evolved. He’s the expert.

Inverts:

Looks good for the most part, though do keep in mind hermit crabs kill snails for their shells. I am curious a second to why you want 3 Tiger Pistols. I have heard of a pair sharing a shrimp goby, but not sure how 3 would work.
Yes I am planning on keeping the wrasses as a harem.
The segmented sailfin blenny is Salarius Segmentatus
The tank will have a refugium so can produce copepods and amphipods.
Only included the extra tiger snapping shrimp as I believed they stir the substrate but if you think that it is unnecessary then will just do one.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe one would be enough, as long as it can keep your YWG company.

I’m glad you’re looking into how to properly take care of fish like Mandarins and the Diamond Watchman Goby. Too many people buy them without research.

Salarias sp. I am not familiar with the Segmented Sailfin but Salarias Fasciatus (Lawnmower) has several instances where they either never take prepared foods or even if they do, they just wither away. A bit luck of the draw. People say they’ve had better luck with the Starry Blenny though (Salarias ramosus). Not sure which category the Segmented Sailfin falls into so I’d like to ask others to chime in.

Regardless, Salarias are herbivores so make sure to supplement their diet with Herbivorous foods, nori if they’ll take it, along with their natural algae grazing habits. However, some become almost omnivores and stop grazing on algae, from what I’ve heard.

A harem of either Fairy or Flasher Wrasses consists of one male and several females. Two males may fight if they’re of the same species. I am not sure whether they’re likely to all transition to males over time, so again @evolved is the person to ask, but I do recall him having said that with the exception of the Leopard Wrasses, many other genuses of wrasses, even if they all start off as female, may all transition to male in the home aquarium.

OP
OP
ndkoers

ndkoers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe one would be enough, as long as it can keep your YWG company.

I’m glad you’re looking into how to properly take care of fish like Mandarins and the Diamond Watchman Goby. Too many people buy them without research.

Salarias sp. I am not familiar with the Segmented Sailfin but Salarias Fasciatus (Lawnmower) has several instances where they either never take prepared foods or even if they do, they just wither away. A bit luck of the draw. People say they’ve had better luck with the Starry Blenny though (Salarias ramosus). Not sure which category the Segmented Sailfin falls into so I’d like to ask others to chime in.

Regardless, Salarias are herbivores so make sure to supplement their diet with Herbivorous foods, nori if they’ll take it, along with their natural algae grazing habits. However, some become almost omnivores and stop grazing on algae, from what I’ve heard.

A harem of either Fairy or Flasher Wrasses consists of one male and several females. Two males may fight if they’re of the same species. I am not sure whether they’re likely to all transition to males over time, so again @evolved is the person to ask, but I do recall him having said that with the exception of the Leopard Wrasses, many other genuses of wrasses, even if they all start off as female, may all transition to male in the home aquarium.
Awesome will definitely do some more research into keeping the wrasses and if @evolved has any advice it is welcome. I am only just about to start cycling my tank so I am a little way off putting the fish fish or CUC in. I am doing a fishless cycle as from my research and tropical fishing keeping experience this is still th preferred method. Oit of interest what is your thoughts on using crushed coral in a reef tank. Either in the suml as part of the refugium or as rubble around the reef scape in the display tank

Memisis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have school on chromis on my list as well (among other things). I love how these look and plan to have 6 in a 120g. We will see how it goes...!

Good luck and great work posting here for advice and feedback.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not too sure about crushed coral, to be honest. Maybe it’ll be fine with your stocking list but some fish that dive into the sand like Halichoeres wrasses May be injured by it and develop infections if the substrate is too rough. How much of a substrate (depth) are you going for?

OP
OP
ndkoers

ndkoers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not too sure about crushed coral, to be honest. Maybe it’ll be fine with your stocking list but some fish that dive into the sand like Halichoeres wrasses May be injured by it and develop infections if the substrate is too rough. How much of a substrate (depth) are you going for?
1.5 inches maybe a bit more.

OP
OP
ndkoers

ndkoers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was mostly thinking as some kind of biomedia/copepod haven for the sump along side chaeto.

OP
OP
ndkoers

ndkoers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I’m not too sure then. However what I can say is for your YWG and Tiger Pistol Shrimp a 2” sand bed would be sufficient.
Excuse the cloudiness it is still dissolving some of the salt as the salinity wasn't quite right but this is my setup as of right now.

20200918_180322.jpg 20200918_180316.jpg 20200918_180254.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome will definitely do some more research into keeping the wrasses and if @evolved has any advice it is welcome.
No harems; stick with single specimens of any particular species.
Here's a good place to start:

OP
OP
ndkoers

ndkoers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No harems; stick with single specimens of any particular species.
Here's a good place to start:
Hi thanks for posting and was a very interesting read. I have changed somethings and looking at getting a single six sixline wrasse and a group of azure damsels. Have made some other changes to the list also.
FISH

• Sixstripe Wrasse x1

• Green Chromis x6

• Azure Damsel x6

• Royal Blue Tang x1

• Yellow Tang x1

• Green Mandarin x1

• Lawn Mower Blenny x1

• Royal Gramma x1

• Firefish x2 (Paired)

• Blue Spotted Jawfish x1

• Banggai Cardinal x2 (Paired)

• Orchid Dottyback x2 (Paired)

CUC

• Dwarf Blue Leg Crab x3

• Emerald Crab x2

• Astraea Turbo Snail x3

• Nassarius Snail x3

• Tiger Snapping Shrimp x1

OP
OP
ndkoers

ndkoers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heavens have spoken, lol. Yeah, that’s what I thought. One specimen of each species. You may be able to see the male Flasher Wrasses “flashing” at each other.
Yes was very interesting and has cause me to make some changes to the fish list but I also made some other changes based on my own research and speaking with other fishkeepers.
FISH

• Sixstripe Wrasse x1

• Green Chromis x6

• Azure Damsel x6

• Royal Blue Tang x1

• Yellow Tang x1

• Green Mandarin x1

• Lawn Mower Blenny x1

• Royal Gramma x1

• Firefish x2 (Paired)

• Blue Spotted Jawfish x1

• Banggai Cardinal x2 (Paired)

• Orchid Dottyback x2 (Paired)

CUC

• Dwarf Blue Leg Crab x3

• Emerald Crab x2

• Astraea Turbo Snail x3

• Nassarius Snail x3

• Tiger Snapping Shrimp x1

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back