1gal water change daily benefits

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it all depends on the chemistry of the new water. If its high enough, it could be like dosing unless you have a really high consumption rate in your tank. Probably would help out with stability as youre constantly adding fresh saltwater. But itd still fall under the 10% weekly so im not 100% sure if it would be better or not. Id imagine trace elements would be good as you would be constantly adding them back to the tank so corals would keep soaking them up. But at that point id almost just dose the traces.
Thats just how i view it and theres a million ways to skin this cat. I say try it out and see what it does! Cant hurt anything thats for sure

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank uptakes alk, cal, mag equal to what 1 gallon of fresh mix would replace then those parameters would be stabilized with the process. The removal of nitrates and phos, if it is currently a growing problem will not see a measurable benefit from this slight water exchange, as far as dilution goes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I’ve recently watched some videos and read some threads about 1 gallon water changes everyday. If I were to do this on my 90g tank, would there be positive effects and would it be worth it? What benefits does it have?

Owen

Water Changes in Reef Aquaria by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Figure 12. Nitrate concentration as a function of time when performing daily water changes equivalent to 0% (no changes), 7.5%, 15% and 30% of the total volume each month (in other words, 0%, 0.25%, 0.5% and 1% per day). In this example, nitrate is present at 100 ppm at the start, and is accumulated at a rate of 0.1 ppm per day when no water is changed.

1701445584523.png

Conclusion
Water changes are a good way to help control certain processes that serve to drive reef aquarium water away from its starting purity. Some things build up in certain situations (organics, certain metals, sodium, chloride, nitrate, phosphate, sulfate, etc.), and some things become depleted (calcium, magnesium, alkalinity, strontium, silica, etc.). Water changes can serve to help correct these imbalances, and in some cases may be the best way to deal with them. Water changes of 15-30% per month (whether carried out once a month, daily or continuously) have been shown in the graphs above to be useful in moderating the drift of these different seawater components from starting levels. For most reef aquaria, I recommend such changes as good aquarium husbandry. In general, the more the better, if carried out appropriately, and if the new salt water is of appropriate quality.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot we can't test for going on in our systems. In particular there's Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC) generated that isn't removed by skimmers or GAC and can cause issues with corals. Consistant water changes are the best way and maybe the only way we can reduce these compounds.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back