How Much Water Actually Gets "Changed"?

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Apex's AWC, e.g., since the "new" water is being pumped in at the same time the "old" water is being pumped out, some of the "new" is lost immediately. In a 100g tank set at a 20g daily change, how long would it take to effect an actual 10 percent reduction of, for example, nitrates (assuming no additional nitrates were being added)? How effective are water changes since we don't empty the tank before adding "new water"?

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also something to be said about location of input and output. Different sides of the tank would decrease the amount of new water being removed.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used this calculator in the past:

Edit:

Theres also this one that measures the effect of the water changes for a certain parameter, but I believe the one I posted above applies to your situation

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you've placed the inlet and outlet tubing next to each other it shouldn't be too terrible. And as above, I got the impression that these systems were designed for small changes each day or even a continous slow trickle. The pumps simply won't flow that much.

ukgeoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For regular daily water changes, 1 - 2% of tank volume is the guideline to replace daily.

I've just swapped from 15% bi-weekly water changes to smaller daily water changes. For my 100-litre tank, I simply use a jug to remove one litre of tank water each morning and then add one litre of new salt water. Changing one litre of water is so much easier as I don't need to heat the water or mess with heavy buckets.

Using the hamzasreef calculator above, I'm replacing 26.03% of my tank water monthly with a small one-litre daily water change:-

1703859152297.png

My previous bi-weekly changes of 15% work out at 27.75% water change per month, so the monthly water reduction with small daily changes is pretty small.

I've only recently started daily water changes, so don't know how my tank will adapt to my new regime. However, I'm finding the small daily water changes a lot more convenient and easier, so will most likely swap to this method.

For your 100g tank, a 1-gallon daily water change should suffice.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For regular daily water changes, 1 - 2% of tank volume is the guideline to replace daily.

I've just swapped from 15% bi-weekly water changes to smaller daily water changes. For my 100-litre tank, I simply use a jug to remove one litre of tank water each morning and then add one litre of new salt water. Changing one litre of water is so much easier as I don't need to heat the water or mess with heavy buckets.

Using the hamzasreef calculator above, I'm replacing 26.03% of my tank water monthly with a small one-litre daily water change:-

1703859152297.png

My previous bi-weekly changes of 15% work out at 27.75% water change per month, so the monthly water reduction with small daily changes is pretty small.

I've only recently started daily water changes, so don't know how my tank will adapt to my new regime. However, I'm finding the small daily water changes a lot more convenient and easier, so will most likely swap to this method.

For your 100g tank, a 1-gallon daily water change should suffice.

FWIW, I mathematically compare lots of different water change scenarios here:

Water Changes in Reef Aquaria by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just my opinion but small daily changes are a waste mathematically speaking …

edit add: Randy’s article mutes that somewhat

larger weekly 10% or more makes waaaay more sense to me

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back