Water Change Question

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, So I havent done a water change on my 90g tank in over 3 months. I dose cal and alk everyday and mag as needed. I dose the B-Ionic cal, alk and mag. My nirates are a little high at 40 and phos at .06. I was wondering would it be good to do a 10-20g water change to get those down and add “fresh water”?

I was also thinking of switching to All For Reef to dose all at once? I heard it doesnt raise ph which could be a problem in the long run but my ph is usually at 8.2-8.4. Yes its a little expensive but price isnt a problem. What do you think?

Owen

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In general there seems to be more people on the side of YES you should do water changes, and less on the side of NAH it'll be fine. . . at least when I asked. There are a number of arguments either way, but the prevailing argument for water changes was removing/balancing organics and other compounds that we don't measure. . . that said there are plenty of no water change reefers.

So I guess what is your goal in doing the water change and for the tank? I for one am all for water changes, and if your goal is to reduce nutrients in the tank it will do that. . . but without other changes you are going to need to do water changes regularly to maintain that reduction in nutrients. Are you looking to do ONE water change to reduce nutrients now and then introduce another form of nutrient export to keep them at the desired level? or are you looking to do regular water changes (again when I made a thread about this the consensus was, regular water changes are good).

Again I would ask what is your goal is switching to AFR? If it is for the sake of simplicity I say go for it. If it is for better results then my understanding is dosing 2 part or other individualized compounds is probably going to be a better options. . . assuming you are testing regularly and making adjustments of course.

Keep in mind I am no expert and I only "dose" kalk at the moment. But I have looked into, and am still looking into changing less water, using AFR or 2 part.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, So I havent done a water change on my 90g tank in over 3 months. I dose cal and alk everyday and mag as needed. I dose the B-Ionic cal, alk and mag. My nirates are a little high at 40 and phos at .06. I was wondering would it be good to do a 10-20g water change to get those down and add “fresh water”?

I was also thinking of switching to All For Reef to dose all at once? I heard it doesnt raise ph which could be a problem in the long run but my ph is usually at 8.2-8.4. Yes its a little expensive but price isnt a problem. What do you think?
Hello, all for reef is cheaper if you use the powder. My 75 gallon tank, 100 gallon setup uses 18 ml per day on a dosing pump. I dose all for reef to my lowest consumer, in my case mag, and every two days have to add a bit of two part for alk and cal.

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is never anything wrong with doing water changes, I do it for fun sometimes.

But, what do you mean by "and add fresh water"? We are all adding freshwater to our tanks everyday.
He means that he is adding new saltwater that has not been used before and does not have nitrates or phosphates or any of that stuff in it. He basically means just a water change.

OP
OP
ThatPhillyReefer

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He means that he is adding new saltwater that has not been used before and does not have nitrates or phosphates or any of that stuff in it. He basically means just a water change.
exactly! Im sorry if I made that confusing.

OP
OP
ThatPhillyReefer

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is never anything wrong with doing water changes, I do it for fun sometimes.

But, what do you mean by "and add fresh water"? We are all adding freshwater to our tanks everyday.
okay thank you! I just mean adding new saltwater with no nitrates or phos, clean saltwate

OP
OP
ThatPhillyReefer

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, all for reef is cheaper if you use the powder. My 75 gallon tank, 100 gallon setup uses 18 ml per day on a dosing pump. I dose all for reef to my lowest consumer, in my case mag, and every two days have to add a bit of two part for alk and cal.
i want to give it a try!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back