1st Acro - Dip and Acclimate?

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

My first Acro frag is expected to arrive this Friday from Cherry Corals (along with a few other frags, including a Porite), and I was looking to learn what the acclimation process should be.

I've read a bunch of posts in this great forum with varying suggestions, but none I could find that really answered:
1) is it safe to dip Acros (and Porite) before placing in the tank? I use Coral RX and Lugol's
2) do shipped Acros need to be light acclimated, or can they go right to their permanent spot?

I will temp acclimate by floating the bags in my tank with lights off before doing anything.

My tank is established, and I already have a few "easy" SPS and LPS in there with all doing well (knock on wood), but this would be my first Acro.

Orito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usualy dip only on revive wich seen's to be the same as coral rx, i would skip the lugol.
light acclimation is a good idea, also ditch the plug.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

My first Acro frag is expected to arrive this Friday from Cherry Corals (along with a few other frags, including a Porite), and I was looking to learn what the acclimation process should be.

I've read a bunch of posts in this great forum with varying suggestions, but none I could find that really answered:
1) is it safe to dip Acros (and Porite) before placing in the tank? I use Coral RX and Lugol's
2) do shipped Acros need to be light acclimated, or can they go right to their permanent spot?

I will temp acclimate by floating the bags in my tank with lights off before doing anything.

My tank is established, and I already have a few "easy" SPS and LPS in there with all doing well (knock on wood), but this would be my first Acro.
Yes, temp, dip, then in. I don't drip anymore at all.
Is the Porites a Christmas tree Rock? (with the worms) if it is, I wouldn't dip that.

OP
OP
Cheeze

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usualy dip only on revive wich seen's to be the same as coral rx, i would skip the lugol.
light acclimation is a good idea, also ditch the plug.
Thanks Orito! And yes, I always ditch the plugs or as much of them as I can, and glue my frags onto a small rock frag that I substitute for a plug before puttying them into the tank rockwork.

Noted on skipping the Lugols!

OP
OP
Cheeze

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, temp, dip, then in. I don't drip anymore at all.
Is the Porites a Christmas tree Rock? (with the worms) if it is, I wouldn't dip that.
It's a Darth Maul porite, so I don't think it has the feather worms? But I'll research to make sure, and definitely won't dip if the case.
I've ordered from Cherry Corals before and they've been mostly pest free, but I've dipped anyways to be fully safe & sure.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just dip, but closely inspect under magnification.
The concern would be “red bugs” which is resistant to all dips except Bayer.
Typical Acro pest.
Freshwater dip doesn’t kill red bug?

OP
OP
Cheeze

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for bringing this post back to life! I see it's been 1 month since I got the Acro (it's a "white rose" acro) and it's still alive and kicking!

I dipped it in only Coral RX, but did put it under a magnifying glass to inspect for bugs before and after. (Didn't see any!)

Happy to say that none of the corals I received from Cherry Corals that day had any pests of any kind drop off after I dipped them all!

Falc!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my Acros get temp acclimate in bag. Then plug gets removed and then dipped in bayer, then in revive. New plug and then on frag rack

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for bringing this post back to life! I see it's been 1 month since I got the Acro (it's a "white rose" acro) and it's still alive and kicking!

I dipped it in only Coral RX, but did put it under a magnifying glass to inspect for bugs before and after. (Didn't see any!)

Happy to say that none of the corals I received from Cherry Corals that day had any pests of any kind drop off after I dipped them all!
That’s great to here!

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, do not freshwater dip an Acro unless you want to kill it.
I’ve never had red bugs but the original LFS I dealt with would dip acros in fresh RODI and it never killed their acros. Now certainly the length of dip makes a difference.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had red bugs but the original LFS I dealt with would dip acros in fresh RODI and it never killed their acros. Now certainly the length of dip makes a difference.
A fresh rodi water dip on coral is not a good method, it works for fish and gill flukes, pure fresh water is very harsh on coral, especially acropora.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Attachments

• 757356A4-7135-4133-9705-892B8C096788.jpeg
    757356A4-7135-4133-9705-892B8C096788.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 36

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back