1st Reef tank 45 gal build

SDdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting tank set and cycling

First I had to fill up whole tank with rodi water then mix in the salt. Next threw in both bags of pink Fiji sand with out rinsing. I did not want to get rid of all the good bacteria. Of course this made a cloudy mess and left me with around a 2 in sand bed. I then threw my scape together in the tank which was pretty hard with the cloudy water ha.

Placed the fluval cp3 powerhead on the right side, connected the fluval 306 canister filter, placed the hob filter with bio media, and turned it all on.

For cycling, I threw in a piece of raw shrimp and waited. No chemicals or additives. Left the lights off during whole cycling process to prevent algae blooms. Around two weeks later, bam! Cycled tank. Took a few days for sand to settle.

While waiting for cycle I painted back glass with black acrylic paint using rollers and small brush. Also built DIY light stand which I'll explain a little better later
Snapchat-45802497.jpg
Nice rock structure, really like the shells!

OP
OP
C

cmoore1167

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First life

Ok now for the most exciting part in the whole hobby, first life in the tank! Went to the LFS and what is the first thing every hobbyist does?? They buy a clown fish ha. Picked up one healthy ocellaris clownfish and she looked great in the tank. Also got 4 hermits, turbo snail, one emerald crab, and a couple of nassarius snails.

Oh look at anxious, excited me just throwing fish in the tank without quarantine ha (foreshadowing). Our new fishy spent the next couple of weeks being happy. The clown ended up pairing with the HOB filter as if it was an anemone.
Screenshot_20180810-180956_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
C

cmoore1167

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounting the galaxyhydro light.

While the tank was cycling, I found a DIY stand for hanging lights off of youtube. I really didn't want to drill holes in the ceiling...

Bought two 1 by 2 boards. Cut one long piece to go from the bottom of the stand to around 14 in above the tank. Screwed that piece to the back of my tank stand.

Attached a piece at the top to extend over the tank and secured it with screws and a 90° elbow joint.

Next I placed a piece between both sets of the mounts on the light, used for hanging it, and screwed them in through the hole that the wires would originally go. Bolted a piece across those two and attached it to the base. The light hangs 11 to 12 inches above the tank.

Before final assembly, I stained all the boards black. Tried cheap spray paint and it looked horrible

20180811_134953.jpg

20180811_135012.jpg

20180812_140010.jpg

OP
OP
C

cmoore1167

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First fish death / glass top

Well my precious first fish thought the grass was greener on the other side... rookie mistake #1. No top on the tank equals dead fish.

Looked into what kind of top to get and just couldn't find any screens that could fit a bowfront. I'm sure I could of figured out how to rig something up but saw a nice glass top at the lfs.

Of course they talked me into it and so far it works. Yeah I'm sure it blocks some light but after a few months, I still see growth. As far as gas exchange, I still have good ph which bnb is helped by a refugium full of algae. It does get dust on top but easy clean up. Occasionally bottom builds up gunk and salt creep. Quick wipe and its clean.

Comes with plastic strip for the back so you can cut space for equipment. Haven't put it on but should before a fish slips through.

20180813_145956.jpg

OP
OP
C

cmoore1167

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New fish

Over next month I purchased 2 bangi cardinals, pink spotted watchman, and a six line wrasse. No quarantine, just acclimation....

Also purchased a cleaner shrimp and tiger conch. Starting to see some green algae growing

Screenshot_20180816-131036_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20180816-131124_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20180816-131137_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
C

cmoore1167

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst day ever. Marine velvet!

Fast forward around a week. Six line was not eating and suddenly died! I thought I was sad then ha. Over the next 3 days every fish slowly died!

All had the same symptoms. First, loss of appetite, second, loss of activity, third, heavy breathing, fourth, floating around shortly followed death. Nothing else in the tank was effected and parameters were great.

I felt helpless... researched and diagnosed the incident as marine velvet! Only way I read was a guarantee to rid the disease was wait while the tank is fishless. The waiting period was debated but of course I went with the shortest time of 6 weeks which accidentally ended up being 5. Spoiler alert, it wasn't enough ha. But I'll get to that.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks!

Im sorry you lost your fish. Don't give up though.

Step back, evaluate the situation, research, develop a plan of action with a timeline then begin to implement your plan.

Leave room (time) for adjustments and be prepared to make changes if needed.

Go slow and you should be good.

Good luck!

OP
OP
C

cmoore1167

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First coral. 2/12/18

Let's back track a few days. Thinking Ive got this water chemistry down enough for beginner coral, I picked up a frog spawn. Single head place front and center in the Sand bed

Screenshot_20180817-115041_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20180817-115026_Gallery.jpg

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is a pic from when the coral was first placed back in December?

How is the Frogspawn doing now?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 112 57.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.9%
Back