1st Reef tank 45 gal build

cmoore1167

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend and I actually started this tank 12/23/17. I have some catching up to do and will post as I have time. I'll show pics and describe my experience as we build our first reef tank. It's nothing fancy but hopefully will help some new people to the hobby and give perspective to others already in it. Hope you enjoy

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cmoore1167

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also excuse the house. It's new and I've been making improvements ha. Ok first I ordered my essentials.

First we bought the tank: 45 gal bowfront found on Facebook market used for $75. Wasn't perfect due to some small scratches and lime build up. Previous owners said it was a turtle tank. Also came with a HOB filter that was later filled with bio balls from fluval.

Stand: also located on Facebook market as used for $50. Nothing wrong with it at all and it was the $350 stand at the pet stores.

Light: Facebook market for $75 chinese black box, Galaxyhydro. Was used and not sure how long. Kind of important to know.... also came with some API test kits

Filter: Decided to go with a canister filter instead of a sump. The sump was a little intimidating me just getting into the hobby. Went with fluval 306 canister for $170 off Amazon. Set up was very easy.

Power head: At first one fluval cp3 $32 off Amazon. Later purchased another to get stronger gyre effect.

Rock: 40 lbs of 12 inch natures ocean base dry rock $45 off of Amazon. Very debated topic for live or dry rock. Went with dry for two reasons. Money and pests.

Sand: two bags of 20lbs carib sea live Fiji pink sand total $45 Amazon. Has good partial size. Doesn't blow in current, small enough for sand shifters and wrasse.

RO/DI: BRS 4 stage value 75 GPD 1 micron Facebook market $50

Salt: instant ocean reef crystal

Any questions just ask.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cmoore1167

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend and I actually started this tank 12/23/18. I have some catching up to do and will post as I have time. I'll show pics and describe my experience as we build our first reef tank. It's nothing fancy but hopefully will help some new people to the hobby and give perspective to others already in it. Hope you enjoy

(12/23/17)

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R :)
It's a pleasure to have you here with us ;)

giphy.gif

OP
OP
C

cmoore1167

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning used equipment

Due to used equipment and tank covered in white grime, I filled the whole tank with tap water and if I recall, around 3 gallons of distilled vinegar. Left running with hob filter for a couple days then scrubbed. Cleaned up nicely and sterilized with a fresh load of tap water and bleach. Washed out several times through out a few days until no signs of bleach.

Sorry no pics of this process

OP
OP
C

cmoore1167

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascape

The base dry rock came in big pieces and I pretty much left as is. Took a large nail and scraped out all the packed debris so the tunnels and crevices were exposed. That took some work. Then just put the pieces together. No curing just hosed off dirt.
Screenshot_20180809-224339_Gallery.jpg
This was before I read about actual aquascaping and the 1/3 theory. Think it still looks ok. Threw in some shells I found at the beach and some dead coral. As time goes the scape changes a little.

OP
OP
C

cmoore1167

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting tank set and cycling

First I had to fill up whole tank with rodi water then mix in the salt. Next threw in both bags of pink Fiji sand with out rinsing. I did not want to get rid of all the good bacteria. Of course this made a cloudy mess and left me with around a 2 in sand bed. I then threw my scape together in the tank which was pretty hard with the cloudy water ha.

Placed the fluval cp3 powerhead on the right side, connected the fluval 306 canister filter, placed the hob filter with bio media, and turned it all on.

For cycling, I threw in a piece of raw shrimp and waited. No chemicals or additives. Left the lights off during whole cycling process to prevent algae blooms. Around two weeks later, bam! Cycled tank. Took a few days for sand to settle.

While waiting for cycle I painted back glass with black acrylic paint using rollers and small brush. Also built DIY light stand which I'll explain a little better later
Snapchat-45802497.jpg

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back