1st reef tank, needs to be done cheap (I keep freshwater planted ecosystem aquariums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then what corals are you planning? Do you have a list? We can probably tell you what is or isn’t feasible...

OP has actually said this multiple times. He wants to keep softies and macroalgae and possibly some low-demand LPS corals in a 20l. The corals he wants to keep are actually the most reasonable part of what he wants to do, he just has a not-terrific method of communication that makes confusion easy.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using that china radion on Amazon and I’m basically using a 3 gallon sump (my hob is 3 gallons) on my tank I can make the flow on it like 200 gph and I’m gonna use a scrubber and occasionally do carbon and probably throw chaeto and floss inside or smth and get a 400 gph powerhead so I can get crashing flow. I’m going to keep a pair of clingfish orange spot blenny a small goby and a trio of bass or a bass and a flasher or fairy wrasse. Crushed coral substrate 25 lb lr pvc with mortar for more rockwork pots and bottles for naturalisim. Simple macros like caleurpa corals like xenia gorgs and sun Coral (can they be feed every other day whennim on vacation or can I use a auto feeder and like drop pellets on the coral and shut the powerhead off on a timer for automatic nps feeder? And I’m gonna keep like palyzoa and mabye cheap brown lps and mabye cucumbers nems and things. I want biodiversity over form

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look, this won’t be your conventional betta fish or silver dollar. If you choose to do a reef tank, it will take a lot of time and effort, and maybe a little more money than you’d hope. And it won’t be easy!

Have you considered something more on the rare side of freshwater, like a dwarf puffer or spiny eel? It would be a bit more challenging than typical FW fish but it would be a lot easier than a reef tank, especially at a limited budget!

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people are ticking me off and making all this hard to explain. I’m going to go offline for like 10 minutes and write a word doc for all this I need a break rn

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link the light because sometimes they are trash other times they may even be over powered. I always recommend branded and trusted lights like the orphek or3 bars because you can add more in the future for relatively cheap if your tastes change and you want more light demanding corals. I highly suggest you check them out on their website as it is pretty cheap for just 1 fixture probably reef day plus color for the macroalgae

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe show the floodlight you planning to get.as it should say all the details of kelvin and etc and then can see if what corals like i think you mentioned xenia and some macro algaes and what light they actually need as imo we think what fish/ inverts/ corals we want and see if they all are compatable with each other and research what flow is needed and what light is needed and we then try our best to cater for the needs of the livestock we want and if we can then we continue and if we cannot then we change something till we can achieve to look after our livestock to best of our abilty

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look, this won’t be your conventional betta fish or silver dollar. If you choose to do a reef tank, it will take a lot of time and effort, and maybe a little more money than you’d hope. And it won’t be easy!

Have you considered something more on the rare side of freshwater, like a dwarf puffer or spiny eel? It would be a bit more challenging than typical FW fish but it would be a lot easier than a reef tank, especially at a limited budget!
I’ve done both they aren’t rare and they aren’t challenging

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe show the floodlight you planning to get.as it should say all the details of kelvin and etc and then can see if what corals like i think you mentioned xenia and some macro algaes and what light they actually need as imo we think what fish/ inverts/ corals we want and see if they all are compatable with each other and research what flow is needed and what light is needed and we then try our best to cater for the needs of the livestock we want and if we can then we continue and if we cannot then we change something till we can achieve to look after our livestock to best of our abilty
Ok it dosent have like specific kelvin but it’s 4000 lumen

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sharkbait, he has many forums up right now and is only in middle school so he is just learning how to make his tank right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back